Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Windows Xp Home Edition Product Key

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 karisma

karisma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:04 AM

hi i keep getting the message "do you want to activate your windows product" i dont have the product key for some reason, i think someone else using the computer has lost it, but thats not to the point, i need to activate it as soon as possible and hoping some one here can help me. also i have tried the product key on the side of my computer, this does not work. so i need another way of doing it.

many thanks in advance

sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

TBH, I'm not sure you will get an answer to that.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

Here is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key.
It has options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping.

Magical Jellybean Keyfinder
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Dee_Tx

Dee_Tx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

My daughter bought an XP program at a computer supply sale. It had no product key either. She called
Microsoft Support & was able to buy one for about $10-20 . No problems after that.
I hope it ok to post that here.
Dee

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

I hope it ok to post that here.

Sure. Buying a product key from MS isn't illegal.

As to product keys in general - brand name computers usually come with the product key attached on a holographic sticker. On desktops, it's usually on the side, and on laptops, it's usually on the bottom.

Those with restore disks or restore partitions usually don't need a product key because it's automatically installed as part of the installation or re-installation.

However, if you have a version of windows installed with either an OEM or a full version of the software from the disk, the sticker is on the shrink wrap the disk came in, and should have been applied to the case. You cannot use the same product key for more than one computer. It must be activated within thirty days. If you use the same product key on two or more computers, they will all be shut off.

The software, as I understand it, is tied to the motherboard. Once the activation process is complete, it has taken inventory of all the hardware on the computer. This includes such things as serial number on the motherboard. Microsoft considers the motherboard to be the computer and if you replace the motherboard, they usually want you to replace the operating system as well.

If the software has been activated in the past and is still on the computer, then the product key should be available with a program like Magical Jellybean Keyfinder. If the software has been re-installed and is asking for a product key, there is no (legal) way around it.

But by the time you need to activate Windows, you should already have the product key installed because it is entered during the install process, not during the activation process. If Windows is up and running and you don't know your product key, then you can use the Keyfinder to get the key. Write it down and keep it in a safe place. But you can activate over the internet automatically (assuming you have an active internet connection). To do this, you should not need to know the product key. You will need it if you need to re-install Windows XP from a CD that is not a Dell, HP, Compaq or similar brand name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users