Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Speed Up Windows 7 Boot-up with Upgraded i7 CPU, RAM, & MB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tewclan

tewclan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

A few months ago, I upgraded my desktop computer to the following:

• Intel Core i7-4770 Quad-Core CPU
  • ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 MB
  • G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
  • Rosewill 750W 80 PLUS PS

I installed Windows 7 PRO onto this machine and was expecting this computer to be much faster than my previous computer and it seems as though it should. When I encode video's on this machine. It does this 4 times faster than it used to take. However to turn the machine on for the first time in the morning. It seems like it takes 5 minutes to boot-up completely, including logging into the user.

Within the last 2 months, I re-installed Windows 7 on the computer again with no increase in boot-up speed. I was looking to see if anyone was aware of any issues that might cause Windows to boot-up slow.

The computer has 4 internal 7200 rpm HD's with a total of 6 TB of hard drive space. (no SSD yet). I am using the on-board video and sound on the motherboard with this computer. Other than this. The only thing that I have is a CD/DVD drive along with a memory card reader.

As far as software on this computer:

• Office 2010
  • Adobe CS6 Photoshop

As far as programs that I have loading on boot-up:

• DropBox
  • Chrome Handouts extension
  • AVG

I have monitored the CPU temps on this computer and it does not run over 100F / 38C with the CPU running at 100% encoding video's. But this should not matter as it runs the slowest on a fresh boot-up when the CPU has not even warmed up yet. Anyone have any ideas how I can go about diagnose this issue.

The benchmark speed on this CPU is 9894, and I have a Dell Laptop with a Intel Core i5 M 560 @ 2.67GHz CPU w/ a benchmark speed of 2644, (w/SSD) however it boots-up within 25 seconds. I realize that a SSD do make a world of difference of speed. I will eventually add on to the desktop. I still feel that the boot-up speed should be much faster. It will turn on and then you login and it take literally around 5 minutes before I can do anything as it stalls on trying to load any program and even as simple as Chrome. And then once it loads, you can't do anything like load a website because it is bogged down doing something.

The CPU is never maxed out as well as I always have plenty of memory available with 16 GB of ram. I always make sure to keep plenty of HD space available on my main boot drive. I currently have 500 GB free on the main drive.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

Does it take that long if you boot into Safe Mode?

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#3 tewclan

tewclan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

It does boot-up faster in Safe Mode. I have looked at this and also gone through the msConfig verifying what is loading on boot-up. I am not as familiar with the services as to what is really required and how much is just Microsoft's extra that go on every computer. I have also considered if it was compatiblilty issues between the motherboard and ram. Al through I have gone threw the specs and confirmed that it is compatible.

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

Is there anything in the event log around boot time?

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

Is there anything in the event log around boot time? Edit: Sorry about the double post, there was some trouble posting it.

Edited by Portaller, 29 January 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#6 tewclan

tewclan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

I don't see anything related to boot time. But under Administrative Events. i am seeing tons of Errors / Warnings listed. Such as

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          1/29/2015 12:16:43 AM
Event ID:      7001
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Desktop
Description:
The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: 
The dependency service or group failed to start.
Event Xml:

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

In MSCONFIG: goto the services tab, on the bottom right corner is a box to "HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES" - make sure to check that box first, it will hide services you shouldnt be unchecking. After checking that hide box, what is left in the list are things you can disable. I would start with disabling all of them.

Disable everything on the STARTUP tab of MSCONFIG as well.

reboot

If your computer boots fast, go back into MSCONFIG and start rechecking the items you want to start up with windows.

I reccomend this method because you said it starts faster in safe mode, which only loads necessary services.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users