Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Manager with Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LenovoUser

LenovoUser

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I have recently set up a dual boot with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04. I can't figure out how to set my computer to show the Windows boot manager and let me select which operating system I want to boot into. Currently I just boot into the bios and select which one I would like. I'm hoping to set it up so that every time I turn it on it shows the Windows boot manager. Thank you for your help!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 January 2015 - 06:44 PM.
Moved to Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:40 AM

You can try EasyBCD 2.2, am not sure if if works with Windows 8.1, but know that it does with 8. 

EasyBCD 2.2 is a multi purpose utility, with the dual boot feature being just one of it's features. It's Free for Personal Use, with registration required, only takes a minute or so to get the offering. Screenshots on how to use it are also shown, if you're having issues, please post back & I'll answer as prompt as possible, usually inside of 24 hours. 

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

It's what I use on all of my computers to control the boot options, to prevent from a double boot with Grub. The Grub menu will still show after Ubuntu 14.04 is selected, but that's OK, there is no way to remove it. At least the having to boot twice to access Windows is removed. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 February 2015 - 12:10 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

The joys of dual-booting.

Currently I just boot into the bios and select which one I would like

Is your computer using UEFI or BIOS?

How to check: In Windows 8.1, open the Command Prompt and type "msinfo32". The starting view is "System Summary"; in this view look for "BIOS Mode" on the right-hand list. If it's using UEFI it will say "UEFI".

How many hard drives does your computer have?

Are Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu installed on the same drive?

When you installed Ubuntu did you use the automatic partitioning settings to "install alongside" Windows 8.1, or did you choose "something else"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users