Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU / PSU Beeping Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jared~

Jared~

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

After replacing the PSU in a recently built desktop I'm hearing a strange soft beeping noise at about 1 second intervals when idle, almost like a clock ticking, but that accelerates when I do something like scroll down a webpage. It's fairly quiet, but I've heard that GPUs will beep when they're getting insufficient voltage. There hasn't been any software problems so far, but I'm worried that this beeping sound is an indicator that something is wrong in the case and I'm damaging this PSU. I'm not very good with hardware details and was wondering if someone could  take a look at the voltages pasted at the end of the post and see if anything looks off. As far as I can tell the temperatures for the motherboard components don't look concerning while idle, though the GPU will climb to the upper 60's under heavy load. If anyone with more knowledge could give the monitors a once-over I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hardware Monitors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware monitor ITE IT8721
Voltage 0 12.00 Volts [0xE9] (+12V)
Voltage 1 4.97 Volts [0xE8] (+5V)
Voltage 2 0.89 Volts [0x4A] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 3 1.63 Volts [0x88] (VIN3)
Voltage 4 1.94 Volts [0xA2] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 3.13 Volts [0xD1] (+3.3V)
Voltage 7 1.64 Volts [0x89] (VIN7)
Voltage 8 1.67 Volts [0x8B] (VIN8)
Temperature 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (CPU)
Temperature 1 31°C (87°F) [0x1F] (Mainboard)
Fan 0 2547 RPM [0x109] (CPU)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Voltage 0 0.96 Volts [0x3BC] (VIN0)
Temperature 0 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (TMPIN0)
Fan 0 1070 RPM [0x42E] (FANIN0)
Fan PWM 0 29 pc [0x1D] (FANPWMIN0)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

Hello, 

First of all may I ask if the sounds are coming from the PSU or the motherboard? And does the beeping ever stop? Usually beeping contains some kind of code, telling you where the problem is, but not if it is infinite. If it is short continuous beeps then it sounds like you do not have the power supply connections installed correctly. Have you tried resetting CMOS (remove battery from motherboard and insert again). Beeps may also indicate bad memory. Have you made sure the RAM is seated correctly? And last question - are you sure that your new PSU is sufficient for your system? 

Try some of these possible solutions and post the results. If none of those work for you - we'll look for other solutions. Best regards, Citizen_WD

#3 Jared~

Jared~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply. The beeps are short and continuous, and seem to correspond to the amount of work the computer is doing. If I scroll down a webpage they'll sound like one continuous stream of beeps that end when the scrolling ends. They're really quiet though, I notice them most immediately after booting and after that not so much. I'm pretty certain that the RAM is seated correctly, but I haven't tried resetting the CMOS battery yet. The PSU is sufficient as well I think, it's 750w for a single GPU (gtx 750 ti), one optical drive, and an SSD, but it's possible I've connected them poorly. One thing that stood out when I was installing it(and the last PSU which died about a week into use) was that the 24 pin motherboard power cable didn't snap into place like the other cables did. I had to use a lot of force to push it in and even then I couldn't get it down all the way without feeling like I was about to snap the board. Could that be causing the problem?

#4 Jared~

Jared~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Just an update, I ended up doing what should have been done from the beginning and took everything apart to rebuild it from the ground up. It took a lot of force but the power connector is now in fully and everything else is as well. The only thing that stood out when taking it apart(aside from the power connector) was that one of the motherboard's mounting screws had been way over-tightened and it took about ten minutes to get out. By the time it was out the mount piece and screw were so worn that the coating had come off and I decided to just leave them out when putting it back together, relying on the other 8 mounts to keep things together.

The beeping is still there and almost identical to a clock ticking in the distance. While the system is idle, the beeps seem to be at exactly one second intervals and are in sync with the system clock, I watched it for a while and every time the second changes there's a beep. I'll try resetting the CMOS next to see if that helps a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users