Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Designate Default View in Windows Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

How can I set the view in Windows Explorer to be the same every time, regardless of what files I've been working on? All my files are on my D:\ drive, but when I open Explorer, it trots off to somewhere in the C:\ drive; I've attempted to set the "default view" (as I understand it is to be done), but that makes no difference. I want it to always open to D:\, showing the files there. Is that possible, or (typically) does Microsoft insist on Doing What's Best For Me and I just have to put up with it?

Many thanks. Appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Right click an empty space on the desktop. New > Shortcut In the box type the following

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,D:\

Press Next and give the shortcut a name. Press Finish.

This works for XP and Windows 7  Edit: I know of no way to open D: as default

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2015 - 10:15 PM.

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi Hikermann 

Just to add to JohnC_21's advice. I created a desk top short cut for my D drive as follows,

Start>computer  Right click on D  Select create shortcut (near the bottom of the menu) this will add a desk top icon 

This short cut can be pinned to the task bar if necessary (saves going to the desk top every time)

Hope this might suit

Good luck

Hedge 

Edit for readabilaty

Edited by hedgeley, 29 January 2015 - 06:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users