Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Turns Off When Lid Is Closed, Does Not Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mnobles730

mnobles730

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

This is my first time posting a question here, so I hope I am in the correct category, and I hope someone can help! I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 running Windows 7. Two days ago I opened it and it said Windows had not shut down correctly. I started it normally, used it, and closed the lid. The next time I picked it up, it said Windows did not shut down correctly. I realized that whenever I close the lid, the computer turns off. It doesn't shut down or go to sleep, it is completely turning off without shutting down. I have checked all of the power options, and they are set to "Do Nothing." If anyone has any suggestions on what may have caused this or how to resolve it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Edited by mnobles730, 28 January 2015 - 09:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,694 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

Hello, and Welcome

What happens if you change the Power Options to Sleep when lid is closed then reboot. Does the computer still shut off when you close the lid?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#3 mnobles730

mnobles730
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

I changed the power setting to "Sleep" when the lid is closed, restarted the computer, then closed the lid. It still turned off without shutting down.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,694 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

Can you do a System Restore to a date before the problem? If you added any files/folders to the desktop since the Restore Point, you should place them in the Documents folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users