Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lavasoft Ad aware antivirus crashed my computer

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 flo_cat

flo_cat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

I cleaned up our windows XP computer at my job to be used as an auxiliary computer in our shop.  I did not want to leave it unprotected so I installed Lavasoft Adaware, it gave me the BSoD.  I re-started in safe mode with network connection.  I then tried to uninstall it, it would not.  I received a message that  there was an error in installation and I should I should stop it and re-install. But it would not re-install and it would not uninstall, kept getting the same message.  It's stuck in limbo.

Thank you,

Flo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Hi flo_cat :)

There's no uninstall/clean-up tool for Ad-Adware, and Lavasoft recommends you to uninstall the program the normal way. If it fails, I suggest you to uninstall it using a powerful uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller Portable. Set the scan mode to Advanced and for the Registry and File/Folder remnants, click on Select all, followed by Delete. Once done, restart your computer. Let me know how it goes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

You may want to contact...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Aura - I'll give that a try.  Quietman, I did contact them yesterday.  Have not heard anything from them, there is no phone.  I searched their site for the problem and came up with nothing.

#5 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Aura - I ran the program, got rid of adaware and I'm still getting the problem. I'm on service pack 3 and the message is No_More_Irp_stack_locations, which was supposed to have a hotfix already in service pack 3.  Still getting it after uninstalling Lavasoft and ALL other antivirus/anti spyware programs.  Any other ideas??

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'll need the minidumps to check what's causing the system to crash.

Inxv2xa.pngBSOD Minidumps
Follow the instructions below to get and upload your BSOD minidumps so I can analyze them:
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop called dumps;
  • Go in your C:\windows\minidump folder, copy every files inside then paste them in your dumps folder;
  • Right-click on the dumps folder, select Send to then Compressed (zipped) folder;
  • Attach the compressed folder (archive) to your next reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

Sorry, Aura.  I ran the Revo Uninstaller and that did not work, still getting the BSoD - message is No_More_Irp_Stack_Locations.  I'm running Windows XP SP 3, should have a hotfix within the service pack. Excuse my ignorance, but if there is a hot fix included in a SP, can I assume I do not have to do anything to "activate" it?  Very frustrating.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:24 AM

flo, did you successfully uninstall Ad-Aware via Revo Uninstaller, yes or no? Also, please follow the instructions I posted above.

unite_blue.png

#9 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

O.K.,  your post came in right before my last post.  Yes, I successfully uninstalled the program.  I have the dump.zip, I don't see a means of attaching it here.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

You can upload that archive on mega.co.nz or ge.tt, then post the download link here. I'll download it and check it out.

Edited by Aura., 29 January 2015 - 11:32 AM.

unite_blue.png

#11 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

Here's the link.  https://mega.co.nz/#fm

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

You gave me the main website link, I need to download link. After you upload the file, you should have an option to get the download URL and copy/paste it. Otherwise, just use ge.tt, easier.

unite_blue.png

#13 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Sorry - I'm beyond busy and trying to do this in between other :tasks.  Here's the link https://mega.co.nz/#!SdpF2QYL!Cy7IA141sH_RdjV8AWJNnXEAVNhgoGbaysn36YKpdsU

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Apparently the BSOD are caused by Sunbelt Personal Firewall. Do you have it installed?

unite_blue.png

#15 flo_cat

flo_cat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Interesting, I don't see it in the list of programs.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users