Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Packard Bell Smart Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

My IMedia M215 came with XPHome and utilities preinstalled, therefore no hard copy of the recovery system. On the advice or the retailer, I clicked on the disk icon in Smart Restore and now have 3 CDs of that info, but it has been removed from my harddrive. I would like to copy it back on.

In the ComputerManagement/DiskDefragmenter window, the following is showing (and it is only here):
RESTDONE FAT32 Capacity 3.90GB 99% Free
HDD (C:) NTFS etc etc.

I am not game to just put the CDs in my D: drive in case it starts doing a Restore to factory settings.
Can I do a drag & drop to the above window or is there another procedure????

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

I think that once you have created the restore CDs there is no way to put the original restore files back onto the restore partition. And, yes, if you use the restore CDs they will wipe your system and put the installation back to where it was when you first got it, except for the resore partition.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:01 PM

pascor22234 is partially correct. You can't restore the data back to the recovery partition after you have made the recovery discs without reformatting the user partition at the same time.
The recovery discs do however recreate the restore partiton, even on a new freshly formatted drive.
After the data is copied to the restore partition, the user partition is created and formatted.
In other words, if you replace the drive with a new one and use the recovery cd's, you get a restore partition wether you like it or not.

Edited by HitSquad, 24 June 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:37 PM

Thanks guys.

I may just replace my 40GB HDD with a bigger Seagate and use the restore disks to start over.

I learned my lesson the hard way and now have backups of everything. My new D: Samsung DVD-RW came with the Nero Suite, including BackitUp, so I spent all last Sunday afternoon backing up my whole C: drive, plus selected bits - now have disks coming out my ears.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

When you get your new hard drive it will probably come with a cd that will migrate what is on your old hdd to the new one. If it doesn't come with this software most hdd manufacturers have it available to download from their support sites.

If your system is operating without problems that may be preferable to restoring your system to the condition it was in when new as it will include your added programs , your settings and your data which the factory restore will not.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thank you

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic