Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to clone operating system

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Smorton1951

Smorton1951

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

i hope I am posting this to the right part of this forum.

I would like to buy a good imaging software like Acronis for example. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you.

Smorton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

Acronis True Image is one of the best cloning software I know, and it also comes with a lot of HDD and SSD, Crucial ones for example. Are you considering buying it as well, or are you looking for alternative to it? I also heard a lot of good things about Paragon Drive Copy if you want to take a look at it:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/

But my first pick would still be Acronis True Image.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

I am planning on buying.  Acronis is the one I have heard the most about and I think it is the one I will buy.  I assume you can download it and then make an ISO of it.

Thank you.

Smorton

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

I guess that if you buy it online, they either send you an installation .exe or .iso (that you can mount virtually, easier and faster) to install it. Also, it's not that hard to use:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Acronis-True-Image-Software
http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_Cloning_Review.html

There's tons of tutorials online on how to use it, and a lot of them are videos on Youtube also. No problem :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

I would like software like this to clone my operating system but I wonder if you can do incremential or differential backups of data with it also.  Do you happen to know?

Thanks

SM

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

Here you go.

Full, incremental and differential backups

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATIH2014/index.html#13711.html

#7 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thank you.

SM

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

If by cloning you mean making a backup which you can restore from at a later date should you

a ) get infected and be unable to remove the virus
b ) get a bad update which leaves you unabel to boot properly
c ) mess up a system setting
d ) somehow accidentaly delete a critical file
e ) uninstall a program you use for which you no longer have an installer to hand
f ) install something you really shouldn't have, some sort of virus or adware
g ) have severe problems with windows which are not due to hardware issues

Then windows 7 and 8, and in some ways windows 8.1 also, have a facility for making system images tucked away within "windows 7 file recovery" in "control panel". there are tutorials/guides on this site for how to make images and use them if things go worng. I have found system images to be the best, safest, most relibale, most user friendly and most effective way of fixing severe issues, they are certainly better than reinstalling "resetting or refreshing", system restore or any other recovery option.

A system image lets you recover from a crisis to a fully working system in hours rather than weeks.

The method using window's built in tools is free to do.

For a system image to be any good it must be made at a time when your computer is free of infections, has all your programs running properly and is running well in any other way you consider important.

System images are for backing up your operating system and installed programs, backing up your documents, images, videos, audio files, zip archives or other files should be done separately.

Edited by rp88, 29 January 2015 - 01:34 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Actually, my problems from yesterday were I hope finally resolved by restoring to a backup of my operating system made about 11 months ago using a paid version of EaseUS ToDo.

I have done a cleam reinstall but I was not aware that this could be done on Windows 7 as you can on Windows 8.

I asked about Acronis because it is a name you often hear and I would like to do:

1. Clones of my operating system (when it is in good shape); and

2.  Incremential or dirrential backup of data.

I try to keep my C Drive with just the operating system on it.  That said, I can fill up my desktop with documents, folders, etc and it is enough to make you want to get a medication for some form of a "hoarder's disease."

If one clones the operating system it seems like you should do it more often then I did.  I went back to a clone made on February 26, 2014.  I had installed all my main programs.and my notes, which I had a heck of a time finding indicated that this was done not long after a clean reformat.

How often do you folks with Acronis make clones of OS? 

Thanks for any input.

Smorton

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:21 PM

I don't use acronis, i use the utility built into windows 8.0 to make system images on usb drives (some types will let you put system images on them if they descrbe themselevs as "local disks" others refuse if they are described as "removable disks" ) and external hard-drives. BUT the timings of when images should be made are the same as if using acronis or any other system imaging program.

You only need to make images a few times, once when the system is brand new and totally fresh, then once after all your main programs are installed, make this second system image several times just incase one of them fails, have maybe 3 separate copies of it all made within a period a few hours long after you've finished setting up your computer the way you like it and testing all your programs work. After that then you very rarely make images, the tactic i use is to make a new one immediately after every time i restore from one, this new image will be more-or-less identical to that original one made as soon as the system was correctly set up. Making an extra system image at these times helps just incase one of the good ones has been damaged as an omage made at such a time will be efectively identical to the original "shortly after set up" image so can act in all practicality as another spare copy of it.

If in future you ever come across new programs you really like (and are sure these programs are not hiding any viruses) or change system settings to ones you find are realy great then you might want to make a few more system images then. Keep all the system images you make, don't write over any. In general though you needn't do many, because system images are not equivalent to backups for files, they are saved snapshots of a system's state and there won't be many different snaphots that you need to keep, just a few copies of the same good one.

Edited by rp88, 29 January 2015 - 06:22 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

That acutally, to a limited degree is my policy too.  But I get sloppy and can't find them because I have way too may external hard drives.  I guess it does little good to make clones every week or so because you may be cloning in some bad things.

Do you mind sharing how you back up your data that changes quite often?

Thanks

SM

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

"I guess it does little good to make clones every week or so because you may be cloning in some bad things."

indeed. You only need to make clones when the machine is in a good state,make several ecah on a separate USB drive or external hard drive just incase one of them suffers a hardware failure or gets dropped in water or gets left sitting next to a powerful magnet for hours or gets dropped from a fifth floor window. System images are not the sort of thing that needs to be made regularly after that good initial one, your system state should not be changing significantly enough week to week or month to month that you need to make many different images/clones. After you have a good system setting with all your programs installed then just back it up, multiple copies though, the once and don't worry about making more system images. The only changes you will be making to your machine are installation of new software (if you download new programs often) and installation of windows updates, it is easy to make a list of programs and updates you downloaded (and keep the installer exe files for programs you download backed up as normal file backups on a cd-trw, dvd or usb thumb drive) and if you need to go back to one of those old system image it would only take 20 minutes to run those updates again and reinstall those programs afterwards. The only thing that needs regular backups is your personal files: documents,images,video,audio,zip archives... and this should just be done by copying them one by one to a removable storage device, and unplugging it when you finish or by uploading to a cloud backup service.

Make a few system images on one occasion when your machine is good, keep copies of installers for any programs you download after the date of that system image and list the number (kb.......) of all updates you install after the date of the image and you will be fine. Nothing more to do but keep the image usb sticks or external hard drives in a safe place should they be needed at some point.

Edited by rp88, 30 January 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#13 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like sound advice and I thank you.

Smorton

#14 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Is this good enough for you:
http://www.easeus.com/

.....it's called EASE US Partition Master and is beloved by mosts, as I've heard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users