Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Crashing When Adding New Inbound/Outbound Rule

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or can test it on their machine to eliminate possible install corruption on my end.

Thanks

firewall_zps35617d42.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

Did you check in the Event Viewer what module makes it crash when you try to add a rule?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

Hi

This is a known issue in previous builds.

I highly recommend installing the latest build 9926.

After installing, hit the Windows Update and grab these...

KB3034229, KB3035034 and KB3035129.

After you install the updates and launch Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, you will be asked to provide feedback on the console snap-in performance.

I tried to replicate your error and couldn't.

Another preview Build is in the works to be released in the very near future.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Hi
This is a known issue in previous builds.
I highly recommend installing the latest build 9926.
After installing, hit the Windows Update and grab these...

KB3034229, KB3035034 and KB3035129.
After you install the updates and launch Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, you will be asked to provide feedback on the console snap-in performance.

I tried to replicate your error and couldn't.
Another preview Build is in the works to be released in the very near future.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted

Looks like I'm quite behind when it comes to Windows 10. Oh well, time to reinstall my Windows 10 VM and start messing with it seriously.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Running 9926 updated.

No matter the path I take; the same error.

Event Viewer points at .NET but I bet it is some kind of fiddling I did that may have caused it.

Thanks for attempting to replicate: Just more evidence of user error.

I'll try a fresh install and see what happens. I got it on a VM (VBox) hosted by Windows 7 on a separate HD, but it is painfully slow.

Also: Tried installing VirtualBox on Windows 10 host and it created havoc with my delicately balanced network configs. L0L Killed virtual minport and connectify was out the window (along with graphics issues and serious boot lag). Acronis has been working overtime with this OS.

Love it. Gives me something to do in the downtime....

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Why not try an install without VM since you have a separate HDD?

Not bragging by no means but I have 5 machines running TP 1 Desktop 3 Laptops 1 Tablet.

The everyday machine I use this DELL has W10 Enterprise TP Build 9926. The rest are not the latest build yet.

Desktop is a Frankenstein, Tablet is a Lenovo Miix10, 1 Laptop older ACER Aspire 4710 1 HP Envy 15 all 32bit.

One thing in common all but the tablet are dual boot with another O/S

#7 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Mixed emotions about it all, but I'm startin' to like this OS. The more I configure and tweak; the more personal(ized) it has become. Kinda reminds me of a Linux distro but a lot easier to configure and install what's needed/wanted.

Got three HDs in this desktop. Win7,10 and backup-drive: What is not in use is disconnected to suppress the possibility cross-contamination and/or user bleep-ups.

I'm throwing all I can (excluding malware : I hate to do it.... :hysterical:  ). It stumbles occasionally, but seems to get back up a bit stronger.

May even be a bit more user friendly than Windows 7 to new users.

Still not the prettiest OS on the block (IMO); but some dislike aero glass (not me) and more of our clients are liking the "flat" appearance of the last two Windows OSes (8 & now 10). Go figure....

Only time will tell, I spose; but, personally, I think it will fly.

Edited by bludgard, 29 January 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#8 Pigbristle

Pigbristle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or can test it on their machine to eliminate possible install corruption on my end.

Thanks

firewall_zps35617d42.jpg

Having exactly the same problem, anybody found a fix for this yet?

#9 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

I tried a fresh install (the 64 bit Enterprise edition) on a separate hard drive with no firewall issues straight out the box.

Have you done any configuring in Services or autoruns since installing? That or a bumb install are the only things I can think of that made mine go south....

#10 Pigbristle

Pigbristle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

You mayhave hit the nail on the head....... I did have a fiddle in Services/Task Scheduler (trying to stop office syncing with onedrive).

I'll go back & see if I can undo the changes, If I can remember what I did ;o)

Thanks for your help!

#11 bludgard

bludgard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

My install finally gave up the ghost. Tried installing VBox again with Hyper-V enabled and that was a wrap. Not even an image could get me back....lol Too many issues with that install (user learning curve).

On with the 64 bit install.

Boo

Edit: If you figure out what caused the firewall crash; please keep me updated. I'll see if I can replicate on new install (after imaging out-the-box).

Edited by bludgard, 07 February 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#12 Pigbristle

Pigbristle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:49 AM

Just letting you know, mine was a freash install of 9879 32bit with a windows update to 9926.

Haven't sorted the firewall crash yet, but then again, not realy changed anything, I guess I'm waiting for the next update/install to sort it ;o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users