Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would a virus cause Windows 7 from loading?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Would a virus cause Windows 7 Prem from starting? The last ones to use it before it had problems were a 6 and 8 year old. Could they have somehow gotten a virus or malware to cause the start up problem? I am trying to repair a friend's Gateway NE56R (Acer) laptop. It has Windows 7 Prem loaded on it. I have the set of 4 Recovery discs, 1System Disc and 1 Language Disc, they are all Factory Discs, not self made recovery discs. When I turn on the PC it shows the Gateway Logo then it flashes a small white line in the far upper left hand corner of the screen, then next it is followed by "Starting Windows" then it goes straight to the Windows Error Recovery screen. It just loops back to that screen over and over. I tried using the recovery discs using both the full recovery and the save the data recovery options. It goes all the way through the whole process of loading the discs one by one, then it asks for the Start Up disc last but not least the language disc. When it is done it reboots the PC right back to the Windows Error Recovery screen. I tried picking the safe modes, well I tried several choices on the Recovery screen, such as Safe Mode, Normal...  But so far nothing seems to work. I've managed to bring up a page with the choices of Windows 7 and "Run A Memory Test", I tried both. The Memory test says it does not find any problems. Then it boots up to the Windows Recovery Error screen.

I'm guessing that the start up, or boot  sequence has a bad , corrupt, or missing file in it. But after looking around I thought there is a chance it might be caused by a virus. I found the TestDisc offer on here and thought that it might help my problem but figured I would get a second opinion on that idea before just jumping into running the TestDisc .

So if anyone can help me get past the Windows Error Recovery and boot the PC, I would truly appreciate your help and the exact steps that I should take, that would be really great! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

There are a number of things that would cause it including a virus. When you press F8 at startup select the option to Disable AutoRestart on System Failure. Does it give a bluescreen when you reboot? And if it does what is the error.

If you were able to retrieve data off the computer would your friend be willing to do a factory reset if the problem cannot be solved? Do you have a computer with Windows 7 you can work with?

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

One of the main problems is it reboots to the Windows Error Recovery every time. When I use F8 it shows all the Safe Modes, Last Known Good Configuration..., So when I choose any of these choices(I tried all of them) it boots right back to the Windows Error Recovery page. No matter what I try. I used the Reinstall Recovery Discs and they all loaded as usual, but when it restarts after formatting it goes right back to the Windows Error Recovery. Any suggestions on how to get to the DOS to use the command prompt? Thanks for helping, sir!

#4 ITGeekGirl

ITGeekGirl

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

I'm thinking there might be a HD problem.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

You can download a Windows 7 install disk from here. Download the version that is on the computer and burn the iso file. You can burn it in Windows 7 by right clicking the file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk and do a Startup Repair. You can also use it to boot to a command prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

As ITGeekGirl suggested, it may be a hard drive problem. You can check that with Seatools For Dos. This would create a bootable disk. Do the short and long test. If the short test fails then do not bother with the long test. Same as the Windows 7 iso. Burn it and boot.

Seatools for DOS tutorial

Edit: I saw your other post. ACER bought out Gateway. That is probably why the name change.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2015 - 01:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users