Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows not genuine" error + blue screen + questions

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 lanaid

lanaid

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm very technologically unsavvy and my computer seems to be on its last leg at last. When support for XP ended months back, I bought a hard drive to store my info since that's what we were instructed to do, but held onto it without taking action after realizing that I would lose all of my installed programs (since I no longer have their installation CDs), and I need them for work. A few weeks back, I started getting a "Windows not genuine" pop-up error, but when I Googled a fix, all I got were fixes for people who were actually using fake Windows versions, which I'm not. I work at home and use my computer constantly, so I did not find the time to deal with it since everything was still running fine other than that.

A couple days ago, I started getting a blue screen every other time I turned on my computer and attempted to log into my Windows profile, and today when I turned on my computer and attempted to log in, I got a pop-up stating that my profile wasn't loading correctly and that I would be using a temporary profile (and that nothing I did using the temporary profile would be saved). I restarted my computer a few times to no avail. I'm using the temporary profile now but noticed that none of my photos (I have thousands I use for my at-home clothing business) are available and that Windows has almost reverted back to its original factory settings (although my installed programs are available).

If someone could help me repair my computer, it would be most appreciated. Also, after (if) everything is fixed, I would like to finally transfer all that can be transferred (especially my photos), onto the hard drive I bought, then just buy a new computer and move everything there since this one has been a headache to deal with. A question on upgrades: If I purchased a Windows 7 CD from eBay, for example, would I be able to upgrade my OS through that? I'm under the impression that I would need a serial number to operate a new OS on my computer if I just buy a CD secondhand. If I can do this, I'd like to keep this computer around as a back-up. If not, I'd like to get all of my photos off this and resolve all of the existing errors so that the computer is at least usable.

Thank you! Not sure if this is needed or if the issues with my computer will show up at all since I'm currently on the temporary profile, but here is my HiJackThis log:

Mod Edit:  Removed HJT data, not allowed/used in this forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2015 - 11:00 AM.
Moved from XP to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Hello Lanaid, and welcome to BC!
You said in your post:

I would like to finally transfer all that can be transferred (especially my photos), onto the hard drive...none of my photos (I have thousands I use for my at-home clothing business) are available

Since you use your computer in your business, I suggest that you immediately get that data off it and saved ASAP. Your computer may or may not be failing, but you have a ton of garbage on your drive that certainly is not helping. But that can come later.

> First, is this an external drive that you have, and how large is its capacity? How many gigabytes of space? Is it larger capacity than your computer's present hard drive? This is important. 
> Is it formatted from the factory, or is there any preinstalled "stuff" on it presently? Or do you know?

Please post back with this information and we can proceed. I will check in occasionally, it is important you do this immediately.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 January 2015 - 05:58 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Thank you for the prompt response!

I figured there was a lot of junk on my computer (I've had it for years and years), and it does seem like it is failing.

It is an external hard drive and it has 320GB of space. Is that enough? I bought it secondhand, and the seller stated, "The disk has been reformatted so there are no contents on the disk."

Should I back up all the data on my computer to the hard drive now? (I will have to Google how to do this.) Are the files that were on my computer before this (my business photos/documents/tax files) still available to back up to the hard drive? I don't see any of them now that I'm using the temporary profile, and it won't let me access my old profile anymore. :(

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Ok...do you know how large your computer's hard drive (HDD) is? I want to make sure you have enough space on your external.

Don't bother Googling, I will step you through it.

I must go into a meeting right now, I will be out in about 3 hours. I will post as soon as I am free.

Sorry, have to run.... later.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Hi, just checked and it says my hard drive is 69.8GB. No problem, thanks again!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

lanaid, in the future I suggest you to only post your thread on one forum and get assistance from there.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/346859-windows-not-genuine-error-blue-screen-questions-hijack-this-log/

Posting it on multiple forums just makes it harder for the helpers to assist you since we can't know what you tried yet and what procedure another helper is making you go through. Also, when you post in the Malware Removal Section of GeeksToGo, once a helper starts assisting you, you cannot get assisted anywhere else until he declares you clean.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

Sorry, I wasn't aware. I posted here first, then there as an afterthought, not knowing who would respond first, as I am really in need of immediate help with my PC. I wouldn't have followed any steps on both forums simultaneously. No one has responded to me on geekstogo.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

I think it's better for now if you keep your thread active on BleepingComputer, and leave the thread on GTG. Unless you are ready to accept their assistance and discontinue that one. You should let me know what you want to do so I can tell the helper there what to expect.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'm ready to accept whoever's assistance that can help the fastest. Sorry, I'm new to all this. Thanks!

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Plug in your external drive, connect it to your computer and make sure it is active. It should be running from here on.

> Go Here and download the ISO file for Reatogo boot disk to your computer (free). If you cannot download or from your computer you may have to use a friend's.

> Burn that ISO file to a CD disk, and you will then have a working Reatogo boot disk.

[Explanation]: An ISO file is an exact compressed image of an actual working program. It is designed to be burned to a CD or DVD in order to create an actual working program that can be installed from that CD, just like any other installation CD disk. You will need a burning utility to do this. If I remember, I believe that XP has a burning utility, I am not sure if it burns ISOs. If you need one post back.

> Make sure your BIOS is set to 1st Boot Device = CD so that when you boot the computer, it first looks to your CD drive for a bootable program. If you don't know how to do this post back. You can also check your manual that came with your computer, they should tell you there. You usually tap an F-key (or possibly the Delete key) while booting to enter the BIOS screen. You can try it first, your computer may already be set this way. See directions on the next bullet point below.

> Insert the Reatogo CD in your computer, and immediately power down. Wait 30 seconds and restart the computer.
     The computer will now boot from the Reatogo CD that you just created. In other words, the "computer" is totally by-passing your hard drive (notice the the HDD panel light is not blinking, only the DVD light) and booting an operating system into memory. From here you have nothing to do except be patient, this take a few minutes to load. It is slow, go give it time. The hardest part of this whole thing is over!

> Eventually you will see the familiar Windows XP desktop screen. Remember that this is not loading from your HDD - it exists only in memory. All the commands you click will be very slow because it is coming from the CD drive, not your HDD, so be patient. Your HDD drive at this point is not even running.

> Toward the top of the screen on the left side will be the familiar My Computer icon. Click on it.

> You will see a listing of all the drives on your computer. Locate your XP HDD. If you are in doubt as to which one it is, check the drive size, yours should be listed as 69.8 GB.
Next, find your external drive, it should be listed. Again, reviewing the drive sizes will help to ID it.
Note: if you cannot find one or more of these drives, post back, something is not right.

> Now Click on your XP HDD; you will see the familiar XP Explore screen. Now you are actually accessing your hard drive files without Windows being booted, which gives you a lot of power! Here search around for your files. When located, drag and drop them on to your external drive. Remember, everything here is in slow motion so relax and be patient.

> After you are finished, exit out to the main desktop screen. At the bottom left is the Start button. First "log out", then "Shut Down". Eject your CD.

Let us know how it goes, and post back with any questions.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 January 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#11 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the detailed response. You're speaking to a true newbie here, so please bear with me: I've never burned a CD in my life, so I have no blank CDs. Are there any workarounds for this or do I have to go out and buy one before we continue? I probably wouldn't be able to do that until Sunday, if I must (I'm under the weather at the moment...one thing after another). Thanks again.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

Ok... you will need a blank CD, or possibly a blank DVD disk will work also. Are you sure that you don't have a friend or neighbor who will give you one? You can buy them at most Dept. stores, I have even see blanks at Walgreens occasionally. They are cheap, buy the smallest pack you can find.

Download Imgburn (free burning utility) from Here. Create a file folder in Explore for it and move the download file into it.

> Double-click on the download file, and the Imgburn setup screen will launch. Directions as follows:

> In the first Setup screen, click Next;

> Accept the EULA terms / Next;

>Click Next on the next 3 screens (Next/Next/Next);

> IMPORTANT: select Custom Installation, do NOT select regular installation.

> IMPORTANT: now DEselect (clear the checkbox) AVG Toolbar (it's junkware);

> IMPORTANT: DEselect (clear the checkbox) AVG Secure Search (junkware);

> Next

> IMPORTANT: WAJAM offer screen; choose "I do not accept";

> Next / Imgburn will install.

> Click off the webpage that launches, and find the Imgburn shortcut on your desktop.

Now you are ready to go.

> Insert your blank CD or DVD disk;

> Launch Imgburn.
> In the opening screen, click the first link, "Burn ISO".
Attached File  Snap1.jpg   38.8KB   2 downloads
> In the next Imgburn screen, just drag and drop your downloaded Reatogo ISO into the screen & click burn. That's all.
Attached File  Snap2.jpg   55.77KB   3 downloads

On finish, you will have the Reatogo program on the CD.

#13 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

I asked around today (didn't leave the house since I'm still a bit sick) and my friend said she can give me one tomorrow. However, I won't be back home and at my computer till Monday, so I will definitely follow all the steps here and post back once I return. Can you please leave this thread open? Thank you again for your help!

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

No problem at all; I have bookmarked this thread so just post back when you are ready. :cowboy:

#15 lanaid

lanaid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

I'm back! :) I followed the instructions above but got stuck at the last part--when I try to drag and drop the OTLPENet.exe file into ImgBurn, an Imgburn pop-up shows up with "Invalid or unsupported image file format." Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users