Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner by Xplode

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BrandynAbel

BrandynAbel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

I have been attempting to get an update for AdwCleaner by Xplode for the last couple of hours and it appears the website listed on the download page here is down. Which is also the in-application page which the adwcleaner app itself sends you to download an update.

Does anyone know why this is down? Is there any estimate out there on how long the downtime will last? I use this program very regularly so any information on this outage would be greatly appreciated. I've googled around a little bit but can only find random download links from less than scrupulous sources, no real information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Are you talking about the download links from Bleeping Computer? I just downloaded it from Bleeping Computer and the Authors web site. v4.109

#3 BrandynAbel

BrandynAbel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

No, I'm talking about the Author's site. Which is linked to from bleeping computer.

hxxp://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner

(Broke the link on purpose here)

Which is the link the application sends you to as well when it detects it is out of date. I cannot connect to the webpage, I have put it into a couple of "is it down" type websites and am getting down across the board. As well as across several computers. 

Are you actually able to get to the author's website? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

Yes, From there I downloaded Adwcleaner.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

#5 BrandynAbel

BrandynAbel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

hxxp://toolslib.net is not Xplode's website. It's another repo.

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

General-Changelog is down at moment. Wait 'til next day.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,907 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Sorry about that. That is the link I was sent to when I clicked on "Visit Authors Site" on the bleeping computer page for adwcleaner.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Well, I'm on both General Changelog and ToolsLib websites at the moment and I can confirm that both are up and running. It happens for website to go down for a few moments due to a backend operation, I wouldn't worry about that. If there was really an issue with AdwCleaner, Xplode would probably let us know here.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 IllusionaryInnocence

IllusionaryInnocence

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

Huh, I was wondering why I couldn't get a change log.
Also out of curiosity, I use Kaspersky PURE 3.0 as my Anti-Virus and looking in the logs it makes a mention of Aut2exe. Is Aut2exe the new downloading method for updating the database of Adwcleaner or is it something completely different? Just curious.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

http://forum.general-changelog-team.fr/index.php is Xplode's home site (forum) run by Fr33tux.

ToolsLib is a hosting platform by Fr33tux. If you scroll down the forum Index, you will see a sub-forum for ToolsLib.

http://forum.general-changelog-team.fr/viewforum.php?session_lang=en&session_lang_reset=Reset&f=53 is the AdwCleaner sub-forum.

http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner redirects to
https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/ which is the AdwCleaner Official Site...and the link to the Author's site on the BC download page.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

BTW...The other link on the BC download page if for AdwCleaner's changelog.
http://general-changelog-team.fr/~xplode/Changelogs/CG_AdwCleaner.txt

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Also out of curiosity, I use Kaspersky PURE 3.0 as my Anti-Virus and looking in the logs it makes a mention of Aut2exe. Is Aut2exe the new downloading method for updating the database of Adwcleaner or is it something completely different? Just curious.

Is it possible for you to show us the log or copy/paste it here so we can take a look at it?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 IllusionaryInnocence

IllusionaryInnocence

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Is it possible for you to show us the log or copy/paste it here so we can take a look at it?

Not really. Just I check my Detailed Reports for Kaspersky and it mentions throwing Aut2exe into a 'Trusted' group due to its Application Control module. Looking it up, Aut2exe seems to be related to AutoIT. Cross-referencing the changelog link that Quietman7 wonderfully provided...

"//////// v4.000 - 12/10/14 ////////

- Updated to AutoIT v3.3.0.12
- New method to manage database"
Seems Aut2exe is being used by Xplode to handle scripts and all that since its apparently a script compiler for compiling .au3 files into standalone executables. I was just worried since I had never heard of it until now (probably hadn't used adware since September so I never knew Xplode added database updating)

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

I think that AdwCleaner is made in AutoIT, so that would make sense. Not sure of that however. Will wait for a confirmation.

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

... use Kaspersky PURE 3.0 as my Anti-Virus and looking in the logs it makes a mention of Aut2exe. Is Aut2exe the new downloading method for updating the database of Adwcleaner or is it something completely different? Just curious.

AdwCleaner now uses a SQLite database stored on toolslib server. Each new version of AdwCleaner contains an embedded database so AdwCleaner will download the latest version in a manner similar to Malwarebytes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users