Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive not seen in "My Computer" good in "Disc Mgmnt"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Petrohawk

Petrohawk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hello all

Got a fun one.

Check out the Belarc attached for specs.

Got a 64gb sandisc Cruzer flash driv I've been using for about a year now. Recently plugged it into the Mobo to access, no joy. Got the "Bloop" sound showing I plugged it in, but "My Computer doesn't see it."

CRUZER flash, Seagate terabyte back up desktop drive (usb) and the SCSI drives on another Seagate desktop back up drive (usb)

All of the above cannot bee seen on "My Computer" but show up on "Disc Mgmnt". Also, when picking a location for saving files, the save box shows all USB drives.

On the "Cruzer", I have assigned new drive letters twice, no joy in "My computer" . Updated drivers (even though they show no need) and found nothing new.

Used IOBIT "Driver Booster" to check (been using this for awhile) No joy.

Verified the "Removable Storage" in settings is on Auto and started. Still no good

I can use disc management to acces, add to, and move from all of the drives. However the Terabyte is my auto back up drive with "Memeo",And "Memeo auto back up" see's the USB Terabyte brive! and backs up to it!

This is really a good one, Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Petrohawk, 28 January 2015 - 04:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

You can download and run USBdeview. Detach any USB devices other than USB mouse,keyboard, or network. Delete vendor specific drive other than USB mouse,keyboard, and network. Sometimes the drivers that are installed by different devices can cause a conflict. It will show you all devices currently connected and those that have been.

#3 Petrohawk

Petrohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Ok, let me check it out. Thanks for the info

#4 Petrohawk

Petrohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

Worked like a dream! The things you learn working with these things is amazing!

Thank you for the fix! I am forever in your dept!

Found stuff on there I haven't used or owned for years.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

Glad USBdeview worked out for you. Thanks for the update.

One thing I would recommend. Stay away from things like Driver Booster. They can cause more problems than they are worth.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#6 Petrohawk

Petrohawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

I had tried a few in the past, and you are right. They pretty much torched my system. But IOBIT seems to have a real good set of tools. All of them have worked extremely well. So I thought I would try the "Driver booster", as my system is really old.

Updating from Hardware screen never seemed to find anything new on a 2006 driver. Going to the sites was like being in Bejing and speaking only Portuguese.

So, installed and used, found 14 out of date. Of course I backed everything up to a month of Sundays before I tried it. But, no problems so far. The one I had with the USB flash happened quite awhile after the driver update.

Being careful here. Thank you very much again for the fix on the USB. Who would have thought old time drivers were still hanging around? Obviously YOU did Thanks.

Oh one more thing (long winded here) I had posted te USB problem on quite a few other sites (forums) still no answer from any of them. You, came back to me within an hour. I will now highly recommend your site for any problems out in the world of computers.

Hawk

Edited by Petrohawk, 30 January 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

Regarding IObit, System Care, and all other registry cleaners/optimizers (including the registry cleaner function in Ccleaner)::

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users