Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumping Raid0

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi everybody,

I have been researching my situation for about a week but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.  I hope someone here can help me.

I have an older Dell desktop running Windows XP (Dell XPS Gen5).  Some specialized equipment in our lab absolutely must run XP so updating is not possible.  Anyway, the computer came equipped with two drives setup as Raid0.  The total drive space is reported as 293GB.  I would like to eliminate the Raid setup and replace the two drives with one single SSD, perhaps a 500GB.  Obviously I cannot do a clean install of XP because there are no longer updates available, but I do have the original XP installation disk.  So, my questions are:

I have made three full system images on three different external drives for safety.  Is it possible to remove the two Raid0 drives and use an image to restore the system on a new, single SSD?

If no, would I have to purchase two SSD’s to replace the two existing drives?  Would that be an option?

If it can be done, perhaps somebody with the required knowledge could explain the exact procedure for me.

Thank you very much,  :thumbsup: 

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

This may not be correct

If I were doing it I would first make sure that your OS will handle a new SSD. Assuming it will then;

I would remove the two old drives, install the new SSD and install the OS from the installation CD along with the backup program you use.

Then I would shut down, connect one of the external drives and use the backup software to restore the system.

I hope that this system stays off the Internet so that it does not prove to be the weak link in your security.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users