Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver stopped

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hi Gang

Well that is what I get all the time. I have changed my Video card and I get the same results.  I usually keep my computer running all the updates and keep it clean and have several virus programs to help. I am using Win 8.1 and my video card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800.

I will appreciate all the help on this.

Thanx....Gunny

Edited by Gunny3053, 28 January 2015 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi  Gang

Boy a lot of lookers but no one with some ideas on this, that's strange.

Thanx....Gunny

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

Hi Gunny :)

I can give it a try if you want.

3Al62Pm.pngList Installed Programs
  • Download MiniToolBox and move it to your Desktop;
  • Execute it by double-clicking on it;
  • Check the "List Installed Programs" checkbox;
    dE2KOUZ.png
  • Click on the Go button;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open.
    wRKHMXW.png
  • Copy/paste (select the Notepad, press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C to copy, and Ctrl + V to paste) the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi Aura

I appreciate the help here, glad to see someone is at least trying to help.  I tried to download that program minitoolbox and I keep getting this error "windows cannot access the specified device bla bla bla".     It won't let m do as an administrator either.

Thanx.....Gunny

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

What Antivirus, Antimalware and Firewall software do you have installed on your system? From which web browser did you download MiniToolBox and where did you save it?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Not to snipe the thread and you should certainly answer Aura's  questions.  When you installed a new graphics card did you uninstall the current one?  This step causes many headaches of black screen on startups and general strange artifacting issues.

Maybe you should try and use DDU and cleanup the drivers.  (make sure you dont install any other programs it may come bundled with)  I havn't used this one but I used to use it when it was called something else.  Plus I havn't updated my video card for awhile now so I don't have any tips on its use but I know it served me well in the past.

Turn OFF your anti virus and malware systems while you install the latest Nvidia drivers.  (just download them from Nvidia)

That would be my suggestion.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 29 January 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi Gang

Sorry I have been so slow in getting to this info you gave me, too much going on I guess. Now I will start going through your info and see what happens.

Much thanx......Gunny

#8 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hi Aura

Sorry.... I have the normal firewall that comes with Win 8.1. And I also have Malwarebytes, super anti spyware, and Ccleaner.  I use Google browser, and I was going to put it on my desktop.

Thanx....Gunny

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

Can you disable Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware real-time protection (if they are enabled) and try to download MiniToolBox again? If it doesn't work, try to download it in Internet Explorer.

unite_blue.png

#10 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hi Gang

Sorry I tried every which way to get to install no luck.

Thanx... Gunny

#11 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hi Gang

Well I tried something else at least I got a diff message....."Cannot install due to insufficient permissions".

Thanx....Gunny

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

Can you create a new user account, then log into it and see if you can download MiniToolBox and run it normally? You can create a local account:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5536-user-account-add-new-user-windows-8-a.html

Either your current user profile is corrupted, or there's a malware present on your system preventing you from downloading and executing applications.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users