Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD not working properly in Windows 8 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeEasy

MikeEasy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi all, first post!  I have posted on a few forums and they have not been able to help me with my issue.  Maybe you guys are the ones that may nail it!

So here is my issue:

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3541.  I recently bought a 240 GB M500 Crucial 2.5 inch SSD.  I replaced my stock 500 GB HDD with it and re-installed windows 8.1 via USB.   Everything seemed fine and dandy until I went to restart my laptop.  So this is what happens when I select the "restart" option from windows:

The laptop will begin to restart and when the Dell symbol shows up it just stays there and doesn't load windows.  If I remove the battery wait a bit and restart the laptop, it will go to the Dell symbol again, after a long delay it will finally load windows.  It will do the same thing if I select the "shut down" option and turn it back on.  (Long delay, than windows).  If my laptop powers down from battery loss, I have to turn it on, wait for it to not load windows, than remove battery and it works.  Sometimes, I have to remove my battery multiple times.  

What I have done so far:

Updated all my drivers (including BIOS)
I downloaded the crucial SSD firmware upgrade software, and it said that all my SSD's are up-to-date.
My BIOS is set up to UEFI (Not legacy), I changed my sata type to ahci, and my boot priority is the the crucial SSD. 
I have tried repairing windows with every option offered

Windows 8.1 was obtained from:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
and booted from USB

Also, I enabled Fast Boot in the BIOS.

Although I am not familiar with it, here are 5 screenshots of the first 5 errors in my event log:

http://imgur.com/a/2Oku1
Please help!!

thanks all!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

"I changed my sata type to ahci"

When you change the HDD format in BIOS, it will tend to break everything.

Revert away from AHCI to what you had before. If that doesn't work, try running SFC /scannow from the Recovery Command Line.

Follow up and we will continue man. This stuff should be easier to troubleshoot because what you're explaining tends to be hardware issues.

-Side note, do you have any SMART errors triggered on the SSD?

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 28 January 2015 - 09:21 PM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 MikeEasy

MikeEasy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Thank you for the fast reply!

Anyway, I changed my sata type to ATA and it seems that it would not even load windows at all, so I changed it back.  I do not remember any SMART errors (I dont even know what those are). I re-installed windows multiple times, and I am sure I would remember seeing something about a SMART error somewhere, so I dont think thats happening.  

Anyway, I ran the scannow in CMD and here are the results.  Turns out something is corrupt:

http://i.imgur.com/Y1PYtYN.png

I accessed the CBS log, there are some files in there but i am not sure where i can upload them so you can take a look.  I can copy and paste the CBS.txt Log but it is very long. 

If you have an email, I have it uploaded to google drive.

Note: I have a friend that suggests that it might be CMOS

Thanks again,

Mike 

Edited by MikeEasy, 29 January 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

The newer AHCI is better to use than ATA .. tk

Edited by YeahBleeping, 29 January 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#5 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for the fast reply!

Anyway, I changed my sata type to ATA and it seems that it would not even load windows at all, so I changed it back.  I do not remember any SMART errors (I dont even know what those are). I re-installed windows multiple times, and I am sure I would remember seeing something about a SMART error somewhere, so I dont think thats happening.  

Anyway, I ran the scannow in CMD and here are the results.  Turns out something is corrupt:

http://i.imgur.com/Y1PYtYN.png

I accessed the CBS log, there are some files in there but i am not sure where i can upload them so you can take a look.  I can copy and paste the CBS.txt Log but it is very long. 

If you have an email, I have it uploaded to google drive.

Note: I have a friend that suggests that it might be CMOS

Thanks again,

Mike 

Thanks for following up, alright so we have a major problem. Your important system files are currupted for some reason.

If SFC didn't repair them, odds are slim to continue with this and repair it.

Can you just back up all your data as you did before and reformat with another disk? Also double check this is an original copy of Windows, if you're using an ISO check the MD5 hash before burning and do a verfication of data on the disc once it's finished burning. I would suggest IMGBURN to do the verification.

That being said... upload the file to a machine, copy/paste it to pastebin.com and provide the link in the next reply so I can review it.

Although like I said, it's going to be faster to just format and try again because you have some major damage to important files on the OS from the looks of it.

Follow up man, thanks!

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#6 MikeEasy

MikeEasy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Your great for following up,

Quick questions before i start the the format:

1.) Can I format from USB like I did previously? (Run windows from USB)

2.) If so, can you provide me with a link for a valid copy of Windows 8.1

From what I understood, my windows 8.1 key is tethered to my motherboard, and fills itself in when I re-install windows.  But I do have my product key saved       anyway.  

3.) If installing windows from a USB is not a good route, could you also link me to a valid windows 8.1 ISO.  I guess I could look them up myself, but I dont trust myself, seeing as this previous installation did not go by well.  

4.) Unfortunately when I try to paste the CBS to pastebin, the browser freezes.   I am guessing it may be too big, anywhere I can link you a zip file? 

Thanks!

Edited by MikeEasy, 02 February 2015 - 01:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users