Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing universal serial bus driver and unknown device

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

hi,I installed a new hd on my dell latitude e5420 laptop today and installed a fresh copy of win 7 pro 64.

I got all my windows updates and then began instaling drivers from the dell site.

but i have two messages : driver not installed on universal serial bus(usb)controller and

driver not installed on unknown device.

the chipset driver has been installed and I can't figure out how to find and install these two drivers.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

You missed one, download them all again and go one by one.

If you're able to extract the actual Driver files directly then just naviate to it from the Device Manager and update.

Things like these are tricky at times and require lots of manual work. Create one folder with all the drivers and start opening them one by one. Then move them over to another fold once you're finishied.

I like to download them and name them what they actually are. Makes it easier to track.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:31 PM

In Device Manager right click the devices with a Yellow Exclamation next to them. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line from each device in your next post.

#4 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

hi, in the usb controller hardware ids there are four in this order :

PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_00151912&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_00151912
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1912&DEV_0015&CC_0C03

in the unknown device there are two  :ACPI\SMO8800
                                                           *SMO8800

I have installed the main chipset driver and am sure these are meant to be covered.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hi Allybee :)

Here's the drivers for the Universal Serial Bus Controller: http://am.renesas.com/media/products/tools/introductory_evaluation_tools/starterkits_evaluation_boards/usb_3_demo_card/RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe
And here's the drivers for the Unknown Device: http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER01168946M/1/Chipset_Driver_XWJWG_WN_4.10.0036_A05.EXE

Let me know if you get any error message when downloading and installing them :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

Hi Aura,

thanks..your a diamond.

they both are correct.

I must have installed the wrong driver for my little usb express card and I missed the other driver somehow.

Can you tell me how you found them from the hardware ids and how do you check that your drivers are the latest?

I used some automatic driver programs in the past and it always installed the wrong drivers so wouldn't use one again.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

Here's my little personal rant on driver updaters :)

warning.gifDriver Updater Warning!
I see that you're using a "Driver Updater" program, which can be harmful for your system and is totally useless. I'll explain you how it works under Windows when it comes to drivers, other people might disagree with me, but over the time, I've experienced with so many drivers related issues and these programs that it becames an obvious big no in my head. Think of drivers as "middleman" between the hardware and the software. They are what the software use to communicate with the hardware and vice-versa. When you update your your drivers (except for the GPU ones), you do not really increase their performance at all. You cannot boost an hardware component level over the level it has been conceived on (when you overclock a CPU or a GPU, or even your RAM, the capabilities of overclocking are present on the hardware, just not enabled), so even if you update your drivers, you won't get any real "boost" of performance on your system. When a driver update is released, it's mainly to address a bug or an issue in the precedent driver version. If you didn't encounter a single issue with your current drivers, then you have no need to update them to their latest version. This is because the bug present on these drivers might only affect a certain brand of computer, laptop, when it works with a specific software, service, I/O interaction, etc. In other words, I could relate it to a pretty common expression "Why change it (or upgrade it) if it still works perfectly fine?". Then comes what we call the "Driver Updaters". You'll notice that under Windows, and many other OS, a lot of people create software that tries to tell you that you "need" something. You need something more that you don't have. And this is exactly the case of Driver Updater software. They try to tell you that if you keep all your drivers up to date, your system will run faster and always be performant. And if you understood my explanation above, you'll see that it's not true, hence this is "false advertising". The goal of these software are to make you download them, since they are either paid by the download they have, or they bundle other applications and programs in their installers (which we call foistware). The author of the program is paid by these foistware maker to include their program in his program installer. Therefore, you end up installing one product that contained 3 or 4 others and just "bloated" down your system. Also, most of them will ask you to "pay" in order to unlock more benefits or better updates, which is totally false. Drivers updates are totally free from your hardware manufacturer website or your computer/laptop manufacturer website. And this brings anothing point, we don't know where these programs downloads their drivers from. Are they really downloading the drivers they say they download and install? Are they really downloading them from the manufacturer's website? Who knows. There's been some tests that have been done by other reputable websites, like HowToGeek, who tested these Driver Update programs. On a fresh installation of Windows, with the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, the program would report that tons of drivers were outdated and needed to be updated. How is it possible? It's not, it's just inventing that in order to push you to use the software and ultimately buy it. In a whole, you could say these software as a big scam. The same goes for "PC Boosters", "PC Optimizers", "Registry Cleaners" (which are dangerous to use by the way), etc. It looks like I have a total hate of these programs and I'll be honest, I do. But I'm not hating for no reason on them, I'm hating on them because I know them, I know how they "work", I know that they don't work like they say and overall, I know that they cause way more issues than they solve. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to uninstall any "Driver Updater" program you currently have installed, for the well-being of your system.

And I found them using a website called PCIDatabase.com. If you enter the VEN and DEV Ids of a device, it returns you it's brand and model. I also looked up your laptop's drivers on Dell website and noticed that the first one wasn't there, so I grabbed them directly from the manufacturer's website and linked it to you.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

thanks...thats a pretty good bit of info on driver software and all very true.

thats very handy to know for in future if I ever miss a driver again.

all the best.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

Personally what I do is that, if I don't know what driver I'm missing, I use PCIDatabase with the device's VEN and DEV Ids to grab the name, then I go on the computer/laptop driver download page on its manufacturer website, look for the device manufacturer and see if the device is listed. If it is, I download the driver from there and install it. If it's not, I download it straight from that device manufacturer website.

And no problem Allybee, have a good day :)

unite_blue.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Glad Aura. was able to find your drivers. And +1 on the the Driver Finder Programs. They can cause more problems then they are worth.

#11 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Thanks JohnC_21,

yeah I stopped using those programs years ago hopefully so have most people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users