Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freezing and power failures

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jfacowns

jfacowns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

I come to you today with a problem that has frustrated me for weeks now. Here is what’s happening...

if the computer starts up when it's been off for a few hours, often everything is fine until 5-20ish minutes into the session, then it freezes. After a reboot, the computer no longer freezes but it turns off like someone had yanked the power cable, no warning from Windows.. no nothing. If i turn it back on again, it will keep shutting off at random times.. seemingly between 5-20 minutes of me logging in. Sometimes it seems to gain some stability and work for hours, but the vast majority of the time it turns off with no indication.

No hardware config changed at all when this started to occur. I have 4X4GB of ram in there so 16GB in total. One by one i removed them to see if a module had become faulty but no luck. every time the issue persisted.

I thought maybe it's the PSU failing to deliver enough volts to the CPU. I bought a PSU tester and everything is just fine. I moved the PC to a different outlet on the other side of the house thinking the outlet was unable to deliver enough volts to the PSU.. not the case.. same thing.

Then I thought it must be the CPU itself.. so I downloaded a stress tester to see if it either froze or shutdown once the CPU hit a certain load... but it maintained a 80-90% load for 15-20 minutes even hitting 100% a few times. I downloaded some CPU monitoring tools to see if maybe the CPU gets too hot and just calls it quits but the temperature is between 30-40 degrees so no issue there.

Unless it's the motherboard, which I have no idea how to test.. I am completely out of options. The SSD also comes back clean after a checkdisk.. i ran SFC /scannow from within Windows 7 to see if there are any integrity issues that somehow cause this but again, no issues.

Windows shows nothing in event viewer because the machine either freezes, and cannot write anything to the logs, or it shuts down abruptly which again, can’t write anything to the logs. There are no minidump files present either.. I have not seen even 1 bluescreen with this issue.. all drivers and all firmware have been updated as well.

If anyone has any advice or has experienced this before, please, please shoot me a post.

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Have you looked at the graphics card GPU as a possible source of your problem?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Welcome to BLeeping Computer Community :welcome:

What PSU brand/model and wattage output is installed? Have you tried to let it run in safemode and see if it shutsdown from there?

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#4 jfacowns

jfacowns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

I had 2 GPU's, removed one of them and the issue has not reoccurred. I would have never thought that a GPU could cause sudden shutdowns like that without ever once reporting anything in event viewer or causing a bluescreen. I left the computer on for about 12 hours after I removed the one GPU and have run into no issues at all.

Thanks so much for the help on that one, it drove me nuts.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Glad to hear that the problem has been identified. Now you have the means to solve it

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:23 PM