Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB SSD Freezing intermittently

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

At least, I'm pretty sure it's my SSD.

I run Path of Exile and Skyrim on it, and it seems the games freeze for about a second every minute or so. I don't have the issue with games on my normal HDD, as Skyrim ran perfectly fine on it until I moved Skyrim to my SSD.

Is this an issue with USB or is there something I can do on my PC to fix this?

Edited by sausage, 28 January 2015 - 11:44 AM.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

Is this ssd in a 3.0 enclosure or 2.0? The speed of 2.0 may not be fast enough to keep up with the game loads.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

It's a 3.0 SSD, though I can't say for certain whether my computer is compatible with 3.0. I can assume it is, but I don't have proof.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hello sausage:

Below is a procedure for publishing a URL link for a Piriform Speccy report.

Windows 7: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

The above will allow all of us to see the system specs as well as the S.M.A.R.T. attribute values for the external SSD in question.

If I catch zingo156's drift, the SSD would likely perform at its theoretical best if removed from its USB based enclosure and instead attached to an internal SATA III port.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 28 January 2015 - 01:14 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

Here is how to tell: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/06/27/how-to-determine-whether-a-usb-3-0-device-is-operating-at-superspeed.aspx

You can also determine 2.0 vs 3.0 by the pins in the port usb 2.0 has only 4 metal contact points in the port, usb 3.0 has 9 total contact points 4 the same as usb 2.0 and 5 located on the very outside edge of the female end. The 3.0 male cable end will have 5 extra contact points on the inside and 4 toward the end of the tip.

Edited by zingo156, 28 January 2015 - 02:00 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

You guys are awesome. I'll look into it when I get home from work tonight. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users