Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stuck on Welcome screen after login - an alternative fix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bassace1

bassace1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I had a problem yesterday where I couldn't log in to my account on Windows 7 but my wife's account worked fine.  I noticed that the computer had poor performance when on her account.  I ran MBAM and everything came back clean.  I tried both accounts in safe mode and had the same behavior.

Then I remembered that the night before the computer froze up for about 5 minutes then started working again.  I decided to restart it that night because I have a memory leak somewhere, and I thought that it might have caused the crash.  I never logged back in that night after the restart.  When I tried it the next morning I got the behavior above.  I went through the steps for this problem to run sfc /scannow, which always stopped at 92% before I got an error that it couldn't complete.  I was still having problems with the performance too.  Everything would go fine for a few minutes then it would be excruciatingly slow for a while.  I remembered when I had performance issues like this before, and it was when my hard drive was going out several years ago.  My current hard drive is not a year old yet, so I didn't think that was happening.  I decided to run a chkdsk to make sure though.  While the first chkdsk was clean, I decided to schedule the chkdsk /r (with the GUI, not the cmd) on startup.

The scan found that ntuser.dat and a couple other files had bad sectors and moved them.  I left it all night to finish checking free disk space.  When I tried this morning I was able to login and the performance was back to normal.  It looks like in my case the ntuser.dat was corrupted or affected in some way by the bad sector.  While this may not always be the case, it could be the cause of some of the more difficult to fix instances of this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:50 PM

FWIW:  Programs/files don't "have" bad sectors...they lie on bad sectors, which are part of the hard drive/partition.  If the files are on bad sectors, then Windows may have difficulty reading such and using such files.

The chkdsk /r command is the only tool that I know of which can attempt to move files on bad sectors to good sectors.  It is not necessarily successful at any of these attempts.

Bad sectors increasing on hard drives can be an indicator of a failing/problematical hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users