Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Account Password in Win 8.1 Corrupted - Need a workaround

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Yesterday I got a client's Lenovo Desktop 8.1 with a corrupted Microsoft Account Password only in the computer. The Microsoft Account signon is ok, just the computer has the issue with it.  I have worked on this problem for many hours, and with no success. The computer is a Lenovo Desktop with Windows 8.1 installed with an SSD and an HHD drive. There are no markings on the case to tell me model number. I also realized after awhile that you need to hold down the Shift Key when either powering off or restarting to insure a complete boot up.
1. My client apparently opened an email that messed up his computer. He contacted Microsoft and one of their technicians got into his computer. From that point on apparently the microsoft account signon password got corrupted only inside his computer. I can signon to his Microsoft Account, got microsoft to send me a code so I could reset his password. This worked on his account only. Still cannot logon to his computer - password failed - try again message.
2. I tried F1 - Bios, F12 - Boot Menu and cannot get past the CMOS password. Boot menu lets me past but cannot change anything - trying to change boot order so I can boot to Hirens. F1-Bios gives me a fatal error. I also tried F10 to change Boot from Standard to Legacy - F10 does not work on this Lenovo Desktop.
3. Pulled the Cmos battery for 30 minutes, put it back in and no change to the Bios password, still locked out of modifying anything related to boot order.
4. F8 - Safe Mode still wants a password - thus cannot get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt to create an Administrator Account.

I need help from someone with more technical knowledge than I have. Either trying to boot to a rescue disk (Hirens or UBCD) or get into Command Mode to create an Administrator Account.

I am hoping someone will respond as that has technical experience and knowledgable, who may have experienced this before. Also anyone who can offer another solution to what I have tried so far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

I am not sure how Microsoft got past the CMOS password. There should be a jumper allowing you to clear CMOS which would remove any password. With the CMOS battery removed hold down the power button for 30 seconds to remove any residual power. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht036531?tabName=Solutions The computer has SecureBoot enabled so no disk will boot even if you could get to the F12 boot menu. Is there any sticker on the back of the computer?

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

You actually sound like your talking about 3 different types of passwords.

1..Microsoft account password.

2. Windows Sign on/Sign in Password

3.  Cmos/Bios Password

You seem to be freely interchanging these different passwords in your explanation and maybe you should take it to someone who can help you more.  ( no offense intended sir)

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Is there a reason to get back into Windows? If the Microsoft account is unlocked, pull the hard drive back up his data and reload Windows. Pulling the battery on a Lenovo system with the supervisor password set will not work see HERE That being said you won't be able to change the boot order to boot off any recovery disc.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 January 2015 - 11:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Yeahbleeping, I am not offended by your comment, actually I thank you for it.  I let myself lose my focus.  I needed to get back on track.  The acutal problem is:  The signon password, which I believe is the Microsoft Account Id (email address shows)  has either been changed or blocked resulting in the inability to sign onto the computer.  I know if I cannot resolve it I will need to backup the client's data and recover the operating system.  However, I know certain computers have the ability to disable the secure boot and enable the legacy boot via accessing SetUp Menu via a specific Function key.  I know the HP Pavilion 23 has this ability via the F10 key during boot.  I have done this to two different HP computers.  I tried F10 on this Lenovo desktop but it did not work.  My main goal in posting is to see if someone was aware of which function key works on the Lenovo.  However, as mentioned by Yeahbleeping I did a poor job of explaining my problem.  

Now I will research to see if I can find the appropriate function key.  Read an article today indicating which computer manufacturers have this option, and it did mention Lenovo as one.  Thus I will continue research unless someone posts with the answer, thus saving me time.

Thanks to all who have posted todate.

Chuck Devlin (cfdevlin01)

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Okay take a look here.  BUT pay close attention to the important note on the bottom of the page.

#7 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

Yeahbleeping, thank you for the last post.  I printed off the instructions.  Also thanks for the tip on the important note at the bottom of the page.  I am quite sure when I last changed the password I did not have the affected computer on booted to the signon screen and probably didn't have it connected to the internet.  Will try again shortly and hopefully Microsoft doesn't give me trouble with receiving the code as my customer left today for a 3 week vacation out of the country. 

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

Nice Find Yeahbleeping, :thumbup2:  I hadn't though about that. I was to focused on the Lenovo Bios problem. :unsure:  

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the compliment Sneaky.... I was a little worried about responding and posting the link I always get leery when it comes to I forgot my password how do i get around it kinds of posts- and what is okay to post here I dont want to be banned.

#10 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Just tried resetting the password again.  Had the computer logged onto the logon screen, made sure it was connected to the internet, performed the reset procedure according to YeahBleeping's instructions.  The password change took affect on the Microsoft Account Page, but still did not work on the computer.  Still locked out.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

I just read through the Manual for A lenovo M73 Desktop (Windows 8.1) I have 13 of them in my network. To access the boot options its F12 the settings menu is F1. If the administrator password is set you wont be able to get to the settings page. Have you tried the Cmos/Recovery jumper on the motherboard? With the rear of the Pc facing you the Reset jumper should be on the right hand side of the motherboard just to the left of the Serial/PS2 expansion port. Move the jumper from from pin 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3. Power on the computer and wait for short beeps turn off the computer by holding the power button for aprox 5 second. Return the reset jumper back to pins 1 and 2. Reboot and try to get into the setup page.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 29 January 2015 - 06:08 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

When you say you are still locked out.

What do you mean .. are you trying to get into the bios settings and its asking for a password?

Are you trying to log into the computer and cannot because you don't know the password?

If you are trying to log in to the account on the computer and it ' still not reset ' The password reset is most likely time sensitive.  If you tried to use the password a windows support person gave you two days ago ... it may not work and you need start the process over.

#13 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

After resetting the password I verified that it worked on the Account Manager Account. Then went to the affected computer and tried to logon with the new password, it still did not work. I verified that the computer was connected to the internet, it was via wifi. Yes, each attempt was with a new and different password. I cannot see where I did anything wrong, followed the procedures which yeahbleeping showed me. The field maybe corrupted, if so it looks like a backup followed by a complete restore may be required. Customer is on vacation for 3 weeks, thus I will wait for his approval. If a system restore is requiered, then one last question as I have never done this before. To implement, press shift key while restarting computer, then go to complete restore option under troubleshooting option. Question, can this be done without a password. Not ready to try yet, must wait for customer, just want to lineup my ducks ahead ot time.

In the meantime will still look for function key that will get computer to boot menu setup screen to try and implement legacy boot. Have tried 6 function keys so far with no luck.

#14 Chuck Devlin

Chuck Devlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Sneakycyber, thank for for your response.  Your instructions are very clear.  I easily found the reset jumper, below it was labeled CLR_CMOS - thus pretty sure I got the right reset jumper pins.  I moved the jumper from pins 1 & 2 to 2 & 3.  I tried this twice, but the computer would not power on.  As soon as I set the jumper pins back to 1 & 2 the computer immediately powered on.  Depressed F1 and got into Setup, however , still asking for a password - hit enter and get message "Password Check Failed".  I then continued, got into the menus but could not do anything.

Looks like I need to get ready to backup the clients data. I have a feeling, but can't prove it without logging onto the computer, that it is infected with a virus that probably has modified specific Registry Entries. As you are so familiar with Lenovo computers, and this is the first one I have worked on, plus first time performing a pc reset,  I have several questions concering 1. hard drive configuration and what is on each hard drive, and 2. Process for either refreshing or reseting the pc.  If you do not want to respond, I understand you do not want to give your knowledge away for free, and completely understand that.

1. I believe this computer is somewhat custom made - has 1 SSD which I believe the operating system is loaded onto it.  Just below the SSD are two HHD drives.  I am guessing the HHD right below the SSD is probably where the customers data resides, and the HHD below that is probably where the rebuild system software resides.  The computer apparently has a "Lenovo Rescue System" within it - label on top says that.  Shortly I will hook the drives up as external drives to another computer to see what is stored there.  The computer has no model number labels at all, thus do not know model or series for this computer.  Actually case has very few labels.  Customer bought it about one year ago.

2. By restarting while holding down the Shift key I get into Menu which gives me Trouble Shoot Option.  Then options to either Refresh Your PC and Reset Your PC.  Will they execute without a user signon?  Many Advanced Options (e.g. System Restore, Command Prompt) require a user signon.  Also, is it worth the effort to try Refresh Your PC to resolve issue, or is that probably a waste of time.

I would appreciate any response plus any response from other members who have gone thru this before.

Thank you;

Chuck Devlin

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

Chuck, I reread the manual for the Lenovo m73 and an older m72e tower. I missed an important step when resetting the cmos. Before moving the jumper you need to remove all power from the system including the power cord. So unplug the system [hold the power button for 5 seconds to drain the power supply completely] then move the jumper to the reset posistion. Plug the system back in and power on. The system is not going to boot, however wait at least 10 seconds then power the system off (if it has the newer motherboard used in m73 it will start beeping after 10 seconds). Hold down the power button to shut the system down. Unplug the system [hold the power button for 5 seconds to drain the power supply completely] Then move the jumper back. Plug the system in and try to access the system setup or boot options. You will not be able to perform a system refresh or a reset without a Windows login (unless I miss read Microsoft's page).
Edit: Reguarding the two additional hard drives, the ssd likely (hopefully) contains the Lenovo Windows 8 install and recovery partition. The other two are likely data drives either in a raid format (0 or 1) separate data drives, or one is the stock Lenovo drive (the ssd may be an upgrade). It's all speculation without mounting the drives to another system and looking at them or asking the customer to provide th answer.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 31 January 2015 - 12:37 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users