Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fluff/Ad-ware Removal Tools?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mr_a

mr_a

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hello Everyone, 

I was just curious if there is a favorite adware/fluffware removal tool (To get all of the factory none-sense that comes with new computers now-a-days off without having to go in by hand and remove each one. )

Many thanks, 

mr_a

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

My recommendations are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Both are highly effective in finding and removing PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs - which is what adware and fluffware are) and offers real time protection if upgraded to Premium.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I've never heard of the term "fluffware" to be honest. People use "bloatware" to describe a manufacturer's OEM software that come preinstalled on a laptop/computer. Some of these software can be useful, while some of them aren't. I usually recommend to look for that specific manufacturer bloatware on ShouldIRemoveIt? to get an overview of what program they bundle, what they do and let the user decide on if he wants to uninstall these programs or not.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/pc-decrapifier/

Will allow you to check whatever bloatware you don't want and remove it without using the "one by one" method.

#5 mr_a

mr_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll give the "decrapifier" a try first.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

I forgot to say that I use PC Decrapifier when I reinstall Windows 7 on my HP laptop to get rid of the HP junk and other things I don't want on the laptop.

At least my desktop is a custom built not a Dell, dude so I don't have to put up with bloatware on it.

It can also be used as a stand-alone for uninstalling programs.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

Dell and HP have a lot of bloatware, but I keep a few HP related things such as HP Support Center and other diagnostic tools since they can be useful when troubleshooting your system/computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 mr_a

mr_a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

I found DeCrapifier to work pretty well as a stand alone uninstaller, but the "auto-detect" feature leaves a bit to be desired. Thanks everyone for the replies!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

How many programs weren't detected by the "Auto-detect" feature of PC Decrapifier?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users