Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jack handy

jack handy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

Our business has had the same @sbcglobal.net email for the last 15+ years. I started off using Microsoft Outlook until I kept running into the 4GB limit. I then switched us over to Thunderbird which I have been using the last 5 years. Thunderbird (I am guessing like every other Pop3 client) gets gunked up after awhile and I have to rename the inbox folder and start new about every 2 months (we get a lot of email everyday with many attachments). So I then recently switched to Mailbird and it has many more problems. So I am wondering what my options are at this point as I don't want to change email address. I wish I could go to a service like Rackspace and just use their webmail but cannot due to the domain. If anyone could suggest what my options are at this point I would appreciate it. Thank you.

After thinking about it... I am guessing that I will have to go with someone such as rackspace and use my website domain. I am thinking that maybe for a month or so I can have sbc forward my existing email to the new until all of my customers have the new email address plugged in. I am thinking that's my only option. Does that sound about right? Sorry if my questions seem a bit dumb as I have been in IT for the last 25 years but have never studied email things outside of the protocols such as POP3, SMTP etc.

Edited by jack handy, 28 January 2015 - 10:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

I would suggest signing up for Office 365 Small Business, which has many benefits including:

• Email on your own domain
  • Office suite (depends on the plan, verify first)
  • Good web interface

This post seems like a sales pitch... (it's not, I promise :D). I use it and it's great.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

Ditto Office 365, or GMail for business. Both allow you to bring your own domain name (they can be bought cheaply if you don't sign up for any of the expensive add ons like website and email storage), and even create a rudimentary public web site. You can connect to either using Outlook or another email client, or use the web interfaces each provides. And during the transition, you can forward mail from your current account to the new account.

Given that your current email is being hosted by your ISP, you options for accessing it are going to be limited to whatever ATT has set up. In the case of sbcglobal.net, there is no web interface for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users