Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup, No Discernable Reason

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swataz

swataz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hi there-

I know this sounds like a typical issue and it is, but the problem is, I can't determine what is making startup time for my system, which is not a low-end machine per se, so slow.

I have, in the past, unchecked just about every unnecessary startup program and process I could in msconfig, and have run multiple virus and malware scans, etc. but to no avail.

Perhaps someone can help me through what could be the issue, maybe a Hijack this analysis or something?

My PC:

HP Pavilion dv6

Intel Core i7-2670QM/2.20GHz

8 GB RAM

64-Bit

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

1) Please define "slow". How long does it take to boot to the desktop?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Rather than unchecking individual items in msconfig, have you tried a selective startup? If not, here's how:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 swataz

swataz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.

It takes at least a full minute or more before everything is "active," that is, I can click on it and it doesn't slowly come to life (browsers, Office programs, etc.).

In msconfig, under Selective startup, the "Use original boot configuration" box is checked and grayed out. What can I do to make that active?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

One minute is not a long time. If I were you I'd leave everything alone. I am responsible for dozens of systems including 4 of my own at home and none of them take less than a couple of minutes to fully boot. My best suggestion is that you don't sit and watch your system while it is booting (no sarcasm intended).

Edited by Allan, 28 January 2015 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users