Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Freezes...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:05 AM

I was hoping my first post here would not be that of a problem but I'm absolutely
lost with a problem I'm having with this new computer. When I play some games,
after a few minutes, the entire computer locks up. I don't get any response from
the computer at all, even the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard doesn't respond.
What makes this strange is that only certain games are causing lockups and the
ones that aren't are running perfect. The games that run fine are: Elder Scrolls
IV Oblivion, Civilization IV, The Sims 2, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, and
World of Warcraft. The games that crash the computer are: X3: Reunion, Galactic
Civilizations II, and The Movies. I've been troubleshooting for weeks, so far
I've tried checking my CPU, GPU, and MB temps but they're normal, the PSU and the
voltages but they're normal too, DirectX diagnostic says everything is normal,
installed the AMD Dual Core patch with no change, turned off all sound devices
with no change, ran memtest and everything appears normal, and of course updated
all drivers and the MB BIOS. The freezes changed when I took out the GeForce
7900 GT CO and put in a ATI Radeon X1900XT, With the GeForce, the freezes
happened as soon as the games launch, with the Radeon the games run normal for
about 5 to 10 minutes before freezing. I have noticed changes in how the games
freeze, most times the game just freezes the computer but occasionally they cause
the computer to restart or freeze the computer and cause my monitor to loose
signal.

My hardware specs are...
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe BIOS: 1205
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
ATI Radeon X1900XT
4 GB Mushkin Low Latency Memory
SoundBlaster Audigy 4

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

Can we assume you have the most current drivers for your video and audio cards installed, as well as any patches for the games?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

Yes, they are fully updated.

3939.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:02 AM

Two new games have been added to the list of ones that work, SimCity 4 and the demo for Glory of the Roman Empire. At this rate, I'm assuming it's a software problem causing the probs.

3939.png

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

I've had this problem too, and it's not software. Your computer isn't freezing, just your keyboard. In games like those your using the keyboard a lot and what happens sometimes is the keyboard freezes up and stop responding. That happens all the time to me. I don't know if a solution is a new keyboard, because I'm too lazy to get a new one, so I just deal with it and try to be careful. Try making sure your wires aren't frayed and that they're connected good and that the connectors themselves are good. If that doesn't solve the problem, try this one:
(Reading more of the post) If your computer restarts sometimes and does all these weird things, I'm telling you now it's your mobo. I had an Asus too and using so much power (games that you mentioned that work fine aren't very demanding in terms of graphics and overall computer power as compared to the ones that don't work) burns it out, in a sense. Try this: if you have a spare mobo, try using it on that and if it works, than I was right, if not, maybe your vid card is toast. Either way it's not software, I know that for a fact.

Edited by TheYoda, 30 June 2006 - 10:23 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:35 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare MB to test this on. I thought the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and The Sims 2 would put more of a load on the MB than Galactic Civilizations II. Is there anything I can do without sending back the MB? Perhaps changing some of the BIOS settings?

3939.png

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

No, I thought I could to, but the only choice is getting a new mobo, that or you could totally turn down all teh graphics on all of them. Though this would be less desirable, it may work. Try that out and tell us.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:44 PM

Well, something changed. I turned everything down, but when I restarted the game and clicked "Disable Anomoly Textures" in Galactic Civilizations II, the game froze. Literally, the timespace between startup to lockup was a minute. The MB seems to lockup faster the higher the graphics card clocks go so this is unusual. I can't really afford a new MB. I've checked the forums at Asus' site and this does seem to be an issue with a few mobos. Is there a way I can check to make absolutely sure it's the MB, a diagnostic progam?

3939.png

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:56 AM

As for diagnostic programs, I'm unsure, but you said your short on money so you wouldn't be able to get a physical tester. I know they have those, but I'm unsure about software for it. Check Newegg.com, they have really low prices. I bought my entire computer from there. If you can't find what you need, all i can tell you is to save your money :thumbsup: .

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

I was hoping that there was software program that could test the mobo. That would at least allow me to say with some certainty that is was the mobo having problems so I could ask the computer manufacturer to send a replacement at no charge. It's a shame to have a computer for only two months and this happen. Oh well, back to saving my money.... :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

3939.png

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well you can try searching for one, you may find one, but chances are there won't be. You said if it was a problem, you could send it back to them no charge, why don't you just do that anyway and say that it's completely fried? My father used to work for tech support and they don't care one way or another whether it's broke or not. Just send it back and you'll get a new one. I mean that does leave you mobo-less for a while, but it'll be worth the wait. Try it, what have you got to lose?

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

Good point, the computer manufacturer will ship a new one and send someone to install it if I want so it's almost effortless. Off to go convice tech support to RMA a mobo...

3939.png

#13 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

If they give you any problem, the best thing to do is lie. I know that sounds like a bad thing, but just say that you've tested everything out and it just does nothing. If you tell them about your problem they will tell you (like all tech supportees do) that's it's not their problem. I'm actually going to call Hitachi today and do the same thing (My hard drive heads burnt out, but it still runs and I need a new one). Good luck! :thumbsup:

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for your help! Good luck with you hard drive. :thumbsup: :flowers:

3939.png

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

I got the mobo replaced at no charge and the technician installed it. I did notice a few little differences. The 12v rail is now at 11.97 instead of 11.84 and the VCore also increased. Both the new and old board are using default settings. So far, I've tested Galactic Civilizations II with it and it ran normally, I'm going to check the other games to make sure but I think the mobo was the cause of the probs.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users