Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin Wirless adapter, and MInt?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

Hello BC,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with properly installing a Belkin AC WiFi Dual Band USB Adapter on a PC that is running Mint 17.1 x64? The Belkin's model number is F9L1109V1. I have had the hardest time trying to figure out how to make this device work, and after a few hours of trying, I have decied to start a thread. I have contacted Belkin customer support, and was told that there is no way that any Belkin product would ever work with a Linux OS. I know that is not true at all. If someone could please throw out some suggestions, I would really aprreciate it. Thank you very much for you time, and have a wonderful day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:01 AM

Plug in the device and type

sudo lsusb

Then please post the output, Lets see if Linux can detect it, If it can it will work, We may not be able to help you to get it going but I am sure a Linux forum can.

This is a list of supported devices.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBelkin

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:54 AM

I have had the hardest time trying to figure out how to make this device work, and after a few hours of trying,

What have you tried so far?

As well as checking if it shows up as a usb device as Nick recommended, I would also check Network Connections to check that it's showing up there too, in case it's only recognised as a usb device.

It may well be listed under "Wired Connections" in Network Connections, rather than under Wireless Connections, because it's a connection that uses an external device rather than an internal wifi card.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:01 AM

I would also check Network Connections to check that it's showing up there too, in case it's only recognised as a usb device.

It may well be listed under "Wired Connections" in Network Connections, rather than under Wireless Connections, because it's a connection that uses an external device rather than an internal wifi card.

Edited by NickAu, 28 January 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

If I remember correctly I had to type 'lspci' to see if a USB device was detected. What you do is run the command, plug the device in, and run the command again. then you google the device number from the output of the command  and 'linux' and see what you can do.

Edited by bmike1, 29 January 2015 - 01:51 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:58 AM

I've never had good luck with Belkin products (these cards & routers), and the worst part about that is, they've taken in the largest brand (by a huge margin) of wireless routers in Linksys. There will be a lot of defectors from the brand, once Belkin's DNA is in the entire product line, and it'll happen. 

There was one of their USB wireless adapters I had, one with N-300 speed, and Linux Mint wouldn't pick it up in Live Mode, a bad sign from the go. Tried moving to other ports & rebooting, to no avail. It also would get hot with Windows 7, which it was designed for, and one that happened, download speeds would swing wildly & signal drop in & out. Fortunately, it was purchased locally & was able to get a refund, picked up one on eBay for $10 that was much better, it used a Ralink chipset. 

There is one thing to note about these devices, they're accessories & not intended to be a permanent Internet connection or replace one's native wireless card, if one was factory installed. Many notebooks had the option for one, but it wasn't installed, about 3-4 months ago bought one for my older T42 ThinkPad on eBay for $6 including shipping. The wires & antenna were there, the card just wasn't installed. 

I have contacted Belkin customer support, and was told that there is no way that any Belkin product would ever work with a Linux OS.

Some companies may say this as a blanket statement to cover their back. Their router did work with Linux, the reason I quit using it was that it was incompatible with my VoIP device. However the USB wireless device, no, it was never seen by Mint, nor other Ubuntu based Linux OS's. My suggestion is that if it was recently purchased & you're still covered by return guarantee, do so while you can & get another of a different brand. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Plug in the device and type

sudo lsusb

Then please post the output, Lets see if Linux can detect it, If it can it will work, We may not be able to help you to get it going but I am sure a Linux forum can.

This is a list of supported devices.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBelkin

Hello again,

Linux is able to detect the adapter, using sudo lsusb, like you had suggested. The output reads:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:1109 Belkin Components F9L1109v1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8812AU]

I had to reinstall another OS, and decided on Mint again. I had forgotten that the Belkin adapter that I have did not work, during previous trials of the OS.  While I was researching solutions, I came across this old post of mine. Still, even though I can see the information, it does not show up in network connections, or wired connections. I am running Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon X64 2.8.8.

#8 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

If I remember correctly I had to type 'lspci' to see if a USB device was detected. What you do is run the command, plug the device in, and run the command again. then you google the device number from the output of the command  and 'linux' and see what you can do.

bmike1,

I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, the Belkin does not appear in the list.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

According to WikiDevi the device uses a Realtek RTL8812AU. From that page it does list linux drivers but it seems the driver is not part of the current kernel. 

But, here is a Mint thread on your chipset marked solved.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=191361

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

Yeah to hell with Belkin better off trying to find another brand

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Alright! Thank you everyone, and thank you for that link, JohnC. Works great now. Got it up, and running.

Edited by beachfeet, 21 May 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

Glad you got it running. Can you post the commands you used. This would help people seeing this thread.

Edit: You followed the instructions from AlbertP's first response, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 May 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:27 AM

Glad you got it running. Can you post the commands you used. This would help people seeing this thread.

Edit: You followed the instructions from AlbertP's first response, correct?

+1! :thumbup2:

As this Topic is over a year old, an answer as to what fixed the issue would be beneficial to the community. That page alone doesn't tell us, in simple terms, the commands used to make the card work. :)

Yet I'm glad you hung in there, I'd had tossed the card if not under warranty or exchange period. Most all retailers has a timeframe for exchange or refund, though I also realize that if purchased online, there may be a shipping charge & a RMA needs to be issued. However, never mention Linux, rather a OS printed on the package. Some vendors looks for an excuse not to refund. This is why I use PayPal and when offered, will always use Google's Trusted Store protection, both covers your back. Certain credit cards will force a refund of return shipping costs, yet regardless, leave Linux out of the discussion. Unless the package says it supports Linux. 

If the package or site didn't say it supported Linux, there goes your case for a refund. 

Am glad that after a year, you've found a resolution that works, for now anyway. What you'll now need to be concerned about is if the adapter overheats, which will lead to poor performance. One way to see is download a huge ISO, such as W10 (nearly 4GB), using a download manager on full throttle. If it's going to heat up, this test will reveal how it'll hold up, which is yet to be determined. :)

Hopefully we'll hear back on the commands used to make the adapter work, not all of that output on the linked page, rather the exact commands used (probably just a few at the most). :)

Enjoy, and be sure to stress test the USB card by the download of a large file using a download manager. Firefox offers at no charge 'Down Them All', in the Add-ons, a powerful download manager that milks every last drop of speed from your connection & adapter. If it's hot afterwards, be looking for a replacement, as it won't hold up. Time will tell. 

Personally, I wouldn't touch Belkin nor Buffalo wireless adapters with a 10 foot pole, both are known for running hot. Which leads to slow or broken connections. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 May 2016 - 04:29 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

>I downloaded, and extracted the following driver https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

>Opened the extracted ZIP, in the terminal

>typed the following in the terminal:

make
sudo make install

>After a reboot, the adapter was working properly.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,632 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the update beachfeet.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users