Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Wanting Different Computer Brand

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

**EDIT - I'm sorry I realized I posted it in the wrong area, I was looking at multipe forum areas at the same time, someone please move this for me**

I currently use two computers.

One is a Compaq/HP desktop with Windows XP; it's 8 years old. The other I have is a Dell laptop with Windows Vista; it's almost 6 years old. Long story short, I've seen various problems with them and know that I can't use them forever. I try to use them as long as I can.

The only two brands that I am familiar with is Dell and Compaq/HP. I was thinking about buying a different brand because I haven't had a good experience with my Dell laptop and have also seen complaints about them. It was also the first time I had a laptop and didn't care for it. I highly prefer a desktop.

Could you give me some brand names that you have had good experiences with?

And also the template for more info:

My budget for the new computer is:

Don't have one at the moment

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Web browsing, Microsoft Office, games (ones that are easy on the computer and ones that apparently hog the CPU), music (iTunes), photoshop; I also use a backup drive for my laptop and will probably use it on the new comptuer (it takes hogs the CPU also)

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Firefox, Microsoft Office, iTunes, Paint Shop Pro 7, various types of games, backup drive

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

The Sims 3, The Sims 2, the basic games that came with the OS (solitare, etc.), and old games that were originally meant for Windows 95/98

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Sometimes I run multiple programs at the same time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Lots of music; sometimes photos

Will you be overclocking?
No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
I would prefer to buy it online and customize it instead of going to the store and buying one

How many monitors are you planning to use?
One; has to be new

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Several USB ports (one for the printer, one for a mouse if I have to buy a laptop, and a few more), SD card, CD/DVD drive; I really want to hold out for Windows 10 because whenever I buy a computer, it seems like there's a new OS out or a new one getting ready to come out

Edited by a.h.h.10, 27 January 2015 - 08:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

The advantage/disadvantage (debateable) for buying name brand computers is that you have at least some kind of support for as long as you purchased support for.  If you are not in any need of support ( prefer to fix problems on your own or comfortable with installing new/replaced hardware) than you can certainly buy from almost anywhere.  It really all depends on what you want.  I would never suggest that a 90+ year old go out and build their computer or install their own systems as this may be a bit too advanced for them (not all of them of course).  So buying a Dell or HP that has a warranty of sorts is better for them.

Right now Dell/ Gateway-Acer / and HP are the front runners when it comes to big names in computers and from this list you can get an idea of many others that build pc's.  Though the list is of course not complete it gives you an idea of where you can go to get a PC.

#3 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

The advantage/disadvantage (debateable) for buying name brand computers is that you have at least some kind of support for as long as you purchased support for.  If you are not in any need of support ( prefer to fix problems on your own or comfortable with installing new/replaced hardware) than you can certainly buy from almost anywhere.  It really all depends on what you want.  I would never suggest that a 90+ year old go out and build their computer or install their own systems as this may be a bit too advanced for them (not all of them of course).  So buying a Dell or HP that has a warranty of sorts is better for them.

Right now Dell/ Gateway-Acer / and HP are the front runners when it comes to big names in computers and from this list you can get an idea of many others that build pc's.  Though the list is of course not complete it gives you an idea of where you can go to get a PC.

What I meant by customizing it is that you go to a computer company's website (i.e. Dell) and you select a computer and then tell it what certain features you want (for example - for RAM, you have choices of 4GB, 8GB, 12GB). I don't have any interest in actually buying parts and then putting the computer together myself. Sorry about the misunderstanding. That's what I had done with my laptop; I picked out a model from Dell and then selected certain specifications.

I intend to buy directly from the computer company's website, if that further helps. I'll definitely want the support/warranty.

I don't have any experience with Gateway/Acer. Is that a good brand/good buy?

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hello again,

There is certainly nothing wrong with gateway computers.  But usually all the big names come with a lot of bloatware.  I have bought two systems for friends and family from magicmicro.  And I have found them to be very good at build quality and price.  The systems I bought were bare bones but you can get entire system builds from them with a warranty.  They have a plethora of options for system builds.

Hope this helps

#5 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hello again,

There is certainly nothing wrong with gateway computers.  But usually all the big names come with a lot of bloatware.  I have bought two systems for friends and family from magicmicro.  And I have found them to be very good at build quality and price.  The systems I bought were bare bones but you can get entire system builds from them with a warranty.  They have a plethora of options for system builds.

Hope this helps

Bloatware was one of the reasons why I wanted to buy online from the computer company instead of buying it at a store; when the "build your own" feature was offered by computer companies, that was how I bypassed bloatware.

I will check out magicmicro that you suggested.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:27 AM

Dell, HP, and Lenovo are all good brands.  I'm not so fond of Acer myself.

For the bloatware you can use PC Decrapifier.  Unfortunately bloatware is how the PC manufacturers pad their bottom line as the profit margins on PCs is razor thin.

Having a dollar amount you want to spend would be most helpful.

If you can spend $1,000 to $1,500 you can go with one of the business class PCs which are better build and HP for instance come with a three year warranty included in the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users