Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Teens Really Need A Cell Phone Or Anyone Other Than For Work

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

You know how it is now days. Soon as kids turn 11 they just NEED a cell phone. Mom and Dad have to fork out 50 bucks a month now so the kid can be happy.

Other kids turn 13 and need one.

Or you start driving and the world will just stop if you dont have a CELL PHONE. You cant even drive without one. :thumbsup:

I am 17 and have never owned a cell phone.

A girl I know who is 13 ran her cell phone bill up to 800 bucks this past month. Lets just say she dont have one any more. Her parents did not have a text plan and she just texted all during classes and such and talked and talked until she ran all the minutes out and kept on going. She is working all summer to pay the bill too.

I saw it on tv but never knew it would happen like that. It was funny. :flowers:

My grandparents didnt have one when they were young and didnt neither did my parents.

If there car broke down guess what they did?

They walked somewhere to find a phone. As if there car ever broke down that often. When it did a phone(even then with fewer stores) wasnt far off.

If you get a phone because your worried about what you would do if your car broke down your wasting your money. Think of what you could do with 50 or more bucks a month extra? Take a family of 4 to the movies 2 times is one thing.

My uncle had a family share plan. He let us on it with the one extra line he had as long as my dad paid for it. We use it for biz reasons.

We used to have a cell phone in case of break downs on the road but we never used it and the bills kept coming.

My mom got a pay as you go for those cases(she is diabetic and needs a phone more than most in case of trouble) and she doesnt have to pay nothing per month. Minutes are cheap enough and last forever as long as she used 1 or 2 min a month the account stays open.

Back on topic

Do you think teens need a cell phone? What do your teens have? I think if cell phones were cheaper lots more people would have one.

For instance verizons min single plan is 39.99 plus tax and a 25? buck activation fee plus a phone(free cheapy one) or pay extra for a good phone.

Well thats like 40 something a month. And you only get 450 mins. Thats just 7.5 hours of talk time for a whole MONTH. If you used it more than for just those hi's and bye's type calls you would run those mins out quite quickly.

Now for 20 bucks more a month you can DOUBLE your mins. 15 hours on the phone is a lot but some do it.

The average teen can sure burn those 15 hours up in a month.

Do you think anyone needs a cell phone?

I have made it without one. Even when we go out. If I need to make a call I do it on some of my friends phones.

I think many teens could do the same. But I want my own number! It comes with your own BILL too. :trumpet:

Do your kids have a phone and a VALID need for one? Just wondering and wanting to learn more about how others live there lives with cell phones.

Today its like everybody has one. Phone booths are almost gone but in like big stores.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 23 June 2006 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

I think 11 and 13 are way too young to have a cell phone. They aren't mature enough to understand the concept of "phone bill." That said, I think that prepaid plans are the best plans for teenagers 14 and older. Why? Because for most (the ones my family had for many years) cut you off when you run out of money. So, if a teen wanted to keep talking, they would have to shell their own money to get more phone time. True, parents could be weenies and pay for them, but I know some would say "tough toenails, pay for it yourself." :thumbsup:

I agree that its very easy to run out of cash and minutes, as well as using features that you don't have a plan for. My mom recently bought Sprint phones, for herself, my brother and I. She also bought the basic family plan, which didn't include text messaging or PCS Vision. I downloaded stuff onto my phone via Vision, but at least I gave her money to use on the next phone bill. My brother uses text messaging a lot...and my mom will most likely make him pay her back. But, both my brother and I have jobs, and money with which to pay her back. Most teens just get an allowance, and its gone before they know it. If they go over their minutes, it is the parents that are stuck with the bill.

My mom got my brother and I phones because we are going away to college, and long distance rates from campus are expensive. And my mom and dad have cell phones for their jobs. But I don't think teens need cell phones unless they are going out, in which case the parents can do what my mom did: she lent us her cellphone, and we returned it when we got home. My brother and I never got our own cell phones untill this year...I never had one in high school, and my bro only got one his senior year because he got a part-time job.

So...my view is: if teens have to have a cell phone, for emergencies and the like, get them a pre-paid plan, and if they want more money on it, make them pay for it; it's called "responsibility." Sometimes they are needed for jobs and other reasons, so I wouldn't say don't get one...but be reasonable. Don't buy an expensive plan with fancy features that you aren't going to use...just get what you need, and if the kids go over, make them pay. And, you can get free cell phones...some companies (like Sprint) will offer you a free phone if you buy a two year plan. I think those are great deals, and they can save money...which can be forwarded toward the monthly bill.

rms4evr

PS...I have a vendetta against camera phones and those "Verizon V-cast" phones...the last time I checked, cell phones were used to call people...NOT to take pictures and watch TV...get your priorities straight, people!!!! :flowers:

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

I know I need one, cause my cell phone is the only phone peolpe can contact me on. We don't have a home phone anymore. No one can reach me at all, not my dad, nor my mod unless I have my cell phone.

My mom is on her boyfriend's plan. My brother and I are on my grandma's plan.

My grandma's plan has 600minuts, however she has the "Sprint Fair and Flexible" plan. Which means for every 100minutes she goes over she pays only $5. Which is really cheap compared to paying $.40 for every minute over.

EDIT

PS...I have a vendetta against camera phones and those "Verizon V-cast" phones...the last time I checked, cell phones were used to call people...NOT to take pictures and watch TV...get your priorities straight, people!!!! mad.gif

Exactly. For the money you are forking over for a camera phone I can buy a better quality digital camera at Best Buy.

Edited by yano, 24 June 2006 - 12:07 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

Where I live, just about every call is long distance.
We figured out the cost per month for the calls (land-line), and internet connection (dial-up).
It was cheaper for us to drop the land-line, and go with 2 cells (one for the wife, and one for me) and satellite internet.
It runs about $30 a month cheaper.
Cell plan is free long distance, free roaming, and free calls to phones using the same provider (which is what most of our calls are to).
We went with one of the cheaper plans, with the free phones, as all we use a phone for is to make calls.
If I want to text someone, I'll send them an E-mail.
If I want to take a picture, I'll use a camera.
We also have roll-over on the left over minutes.
As of the last bill, we have over 8000 roll-over minutes available, so we just pay the basic bill every month.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:52 AM

I'm not going to say i NEED a cell phone, but i'm definately glad i have it. My mom gave me one the day i turned 16. I think they're really important when you start driving. What if there were to be an accident? What happens if you break down in a place that doesn't have a phone for miles?

My grandparents didnt have one when they were young and didnt neither did my parents.

If there car broke down guess what they did?

Did they have airbags? Anti-lock breaks? A LOT of things have changed since that time. Just because past generations have been able to "deal" without technology doesn't mean the world would be better today without it....

It's especially useful at college. A lot of my friends call me after class, or when i need rides and stuff. I don't use the dorm phone (WAY too many telemarketers, surprisingly...).

As for my cell-phone plan, i share it with my mom. Neither of us really TALK on the phone, we mainly just use it to keep in contact with each other, let people know where we are/when we're going to get there, and stuff like that. For actual conversations, i stick to Gaim and the ever-popular "face to face" method :thumbsup:

To summarize, i think phones are IMPORTANT to have, but i completely agree that millions abuse them. I would LOVE a bill passed nation-wide that made talking on the phone while driving illegal. I've been cut off too many times by idiots having a conversation on their phone about who-knows-what. It would DEFINATELY be safer on the road if cell phones were taken out of the picture.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 24 June 2006 - 01:56 AM.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

My sister started her girls out with pre-paid minute cards and made them pay for it themselves.
It didn't take long for them to figure out cost vs. air time.
Lesson learned. :thumbsup:
If a kid runs up an $800.00 cell phone bill because they're to young to be using it, it's the parents fault and they're the ones that need to wake up and educate them as far as usage.

Edited by HitSquad, 24 June 2006 - 08:29 AM.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

Once I took my grandma's plan, 200 minutes over however, since we have the Fair and Flexible plan I only had to give my grandma the $10 for 200 minutes.

It would DEFINATELY be safer on the road if cell phones were taken out of the picture.

Wouldn't it be more like: It would DEFINATELY be safer on the road if cell phones were taken off the line. :thumbsup:

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

Camera phones are junk...at least the camera part.
Poor quality pics and weak flash if they have one. Expensive downloads off the providers site are also rip off's. I have never tried a mp3 player cell but I have my own mp3 player.

I also have my own camera which is very expensive and very good at taking pics. No cell phone will replace it in storage or features let alone pic quality.

I think paying out the ears(old saying lol) to watch stupid tv on your cell phone is stupid too. I cant believe anyone would do it. As gas prices keep going up wasted money will be put in the tank and taken away from tv phones lol.

Yeah when we need a cell we use our moms pay per min phone. Just call if we need a ride or whatever and get off.

I think phones are more of a expensive fashion statement for most teens.
Sure they are handy at times. But not always needed or even worth it.
Like when we go on vacation. I have these two way radios. They have a 12 mile range on them(were the best on the market until the 14 mile ranges came out) and we use them around theme parks and such. Its free and we can talk anywhere in the parks it even goes through the buildings!

I just dont personally have the need for one.I mean I could USE one every now and then. But a few phone calls a month sure isnt worth all the money. I see how the others here need one. We dont even have cable/sat/direct tv and never have.

Sure there are good shows on tv but 40 bucks a month for tv is too much.
If I had the option around here...id get fast internet over cable tv.

#9 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

Kids are manipulative... They NEED cell phones to be happy because they know twisting your arm in that way will get you to buy them one. But make no mistake... That whole line is only meant to enable them to impose thier will over you.

I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my 20's... And I turned out just fine. I had lots of friends and I was quite happy without it.

Parents: Don't allow yourselves to be manipulated so easily. (easier said than done I know... I have 3 myself) :thumbsup:
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

.....do you people have a conspiracy against teenagers or something?

I just dont personally have the need for one.

Just because YOU don't have a need for one doesn't mean there aren't a lot of teens that need them. What about teenagers that have active social lives, traveling around a lot, going places, on vacation, etc. Times have changed. I know i wouldn't want my kid (when i have one) running around town or outside the county without a way to get in contact w/ me if something happens. Simply saying "they can walk to a phone" is a really poor argument for opponents of teen-cells. Cell phones allow you to avoid having to possibly walk long distances or deal w/ strangers to try and use a phone. Technology, for the most part, makes our lives better, and cell phones are included in that group.

They NEED cell phones to be happy because they know twisting your arm in that way will get you to buy them one.

I think you're making WAY to big of a deal out of teens asking for them. You seem to be making it out that unless every teen has a cell phone, they're all unhappy and whiney. I know a lot of my friends don't have cell phones, and have absolutely no problem with it. Not everyone NEEDS one, but everyone that has one didn't get it from being a "manipulative" evil kid.

Sure, a hell of a lot of people i know abuse them (and i agree that the tv on your phone thing is pretty stupid), but don't think that every teen w/ a cell phone abuses it or got it by being a brat. PLEASE stop being stereotypical....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 24 June 2006 - 02:08 PM.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

Well I wasnt saying it was a bad thing that we have cell phones. Times may have changed but what I was getting at is the kids who think they cant live without one. The girl who ran her parents bill up was told she was only getting a min phone and that she was going to pay for the mins and she was not happy about that.

I think cell phones are great. If I need one I will get one. I dont think I would really need one its more of a want issue. I heard on tv how much people talk on cell phones a year in the USA and how little is being said.

Like most just talk for no reason. Not even really to keep in touch but to just talk. I thought wow people pay all that money to just talk. Amazing.

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

Oh, it seemed as though you were criticizing people that had them since they weren't technically needed.

Well, i agree with everything you said in your most recent post, sorry for misunderstanding.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

I used 267 hours on my old phone in the course of 2 years. How is that talking too much?

:thumbsup:

I just got a new phone and I've had it since mid-May and I've used 1477 minutes (24 hours and 37 minutes).

Edited by yano, 24 June 2006 - 09:19 PM.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

Wow thats a lot...
at 12 cents a min(some cell plans are about this much a min.) you had to pay
$1922.40 to talk for two years...

I paid $0... :thumbsup: lol

Wow I think if my friends want to talk to me its either on the internet,regular phone(unlimited!!) or we can all get cb's for our cars...

I'm not much of a phone person. I dont like to talk on the phone much. How can you do it?

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Actually my grandma paid $2,040 for 2 years for 2 phones for the first year and 3 phones for the last year. So actually it is cheaper to be on a plan, cause our plan would only cost $75 a month for only one phone (with the nights starting at 7). Which would be $1,800 in 2 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users