Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost password to Windows 7, and unable to reformat.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 todamax15

todamax15

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

I found a computer my old housemate left behind in our storage closet and I claimed it. It runs on Windows 7 Professional. I booted it up and I can only log into Windows as a guest, as he set a password on his admin account. I have lost touch with him so I cannot ask him for the pw. So I cannot uninstall or install anything without the pw on the guest account. There are also no software or any recover disks with the computer when I found it.

I ran ophcrack to try to get or bypass the pw, but it failed. The result, “there were no tables found” by the program.

Tried then doing a clean install with my own copy of Windows 7, but hit a roadblock when it says “no drives were found” for me to install the Windows 7 on.

At the Windows 7 installation screen, I hit shift + f10, and do “diskpart" and “list disks”. It lists disk 0, disk 1, disk 2, disk 3 and all their status are listed as “no media” and sizes and free space all listed at zero bytes. When I entered command prompt, it started with X:\ rather than C:\ .

Went to BIOS to see if it there are hard drives there, disk 0 – disk 3 are all listed with drives installed, all SATA. Also when I in Windows at a guest, I could see all four hard drives from My Computer. Yet they don't show up when I tried installing windows or doing a lisk disk in command prompt.

Any other ways I can deal with this? Throwing in a new hard drive in there will be my last resort.

The computer is a Lenovo Thinkstation D20.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

If you tap F11 at boot does it give you the option to do a factory reset? This looks like some kind of RAID setup.

Edit: you have a Windows 7 install disk with the key?

Edit Edit: Download FatDog64 and burn the iso. See if you can acess the hard drives with linux. You can then wipe the drives and then do a clean install with Windows 7.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#3 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

If you tap F11 at boot does it give you the option to do a factory reset?

Don't know, I will see when I get the chance.

Yes, my own win 7 disk with the key.

With Fatdog64, would I be booting from the disk with the iso?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yes, you would burn the iso file with something like imgburn.You can burn an iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn disk Image. You can also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive you want to do that. Select iso image in the dropdown box that lists FreeDos. Then click the icon and browse to the iso file.

#5 D@nby

D@nby

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

If you tap F11 at boot does it give you the option to do a factory reset? This looks like some kind of RAID setup.

Edit Edit: Download FatDog64 and burn the iso. See if you can acess the hard drives with linux. You can then wipe the drives and then do a clean install with Windows 7.

Quite agree with JohnC_21,

Something that worked for me (I have kept most OS's from the past) Most Bios will still boot from external 3.5

So I booted Windoze NT 4.0 from floppy, went through a few steps and reformatted my HD (lost all Info) but had It backed up on my RocketFish external HD.

Worked. .what can I say?

best

D@nby

#6 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

Yes, you would burn the iso file with something like imgburn.You can burn an iso file in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn disk Image. You can also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive you want to do that. Select iso image in the dropdown box that lists FreeDos. Then click the icon and browse to the iso file.

Hi, finally, and i mean "FINALLY" got around to trying Fatdog64 and booted in successfully. But now, how do I access my drives? I'm not seeing them anywhere...

Edit: also messing around with the BIOS and notice there are options to "create array, delete array, wipe out disk, spare management" under the RAID tap in the bios.

Thanks.

Edited by todamax15, 27 June 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

On the Fatdog desktop there should be hard drive icons labeled sda...sdb...sdc... depending on the number of drives and sda1...sda2...  being numbered for the partitions on a single drive. Do you see that? If you do not see the drives and the data is not important then try deleting the array in BIOS. Then boot FatDog again. You should see the separate drives.

#8 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

On the Fatdog desktop there should be hard drive icons labeled sda...sdb...sdc... depending on the number of drives and sda1...sda2...  being numbered for the partitions on a single drive. Do you see that? If you do not see the drives and the data is not important then try deleting the array in BIOS. Then boot FatDog again. You should see the separate drives.

No. I did not see any hard drive icons on the desktop. Only icon I see is the disk icon "SR0" along with the "home, web browser and trash" icons.

I then deleted the array in BIOS and rebooted into FatDog again, and I am still not seeing the hard drive icons.

Looking at FatDog screen shots, I notice they have the "my computer" like Icon on their desktop. I don't have that.

Edited by todamax15, 27 June 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

Are the drives detected as separate drives in BIOS? When you are at the Fatdog desktop click the menu button. I am not sure exactly where it is but start the partition manager, Gparted. Does it detect your drives. There is a dropdown box in the upper right that you use to select the drive. It's possible Fatdog does not see your chipset. If Gparted does not see the drives then download Puppy Tahrpup 6 linux here. Burn the iso and see if it detects your drives.

A smaller download would be the bootable version of Partition Wizard based on linux. This may detect your drives also.

Edit: make sure the mode in BIOS is set to SATA/AHCI or somthing similar and not RAID.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 June 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#10 todamax15

todamax15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Are the drives detected as separate drives in BIOS? When you are at the Fatdog desktop click the menu button. I am not sure exactly where it is but start the partition manager, Gparted. Does it detect your drives. There is a dropdown box in the upper right that you use to select the drive. It's possible Fatdog does not see your chipset. If Gparted does not see the drives then download Puppy Tahrpup 6 linux here. Burn the iso and see if it detects your drives.

A smaller download would be the bootable version of Partition Wizard based on linux. This may detect your drives also.

Edit: make sure the mode in BIOS is set to SATA/AHCI or somthing similar and not RAID.

Yes, they were detected as 2 separated drives 500gb each in the BIOS, before I "delete array" for each of them. It was only after then, I knew where to find the gparted partition manager in FatDog, and this is where I am right now in the screen shot attached.

I assume the first slot is the fatdog disk drive itself, and the gray listed as 220mb of unallocated space.

Edit: also attached screenshots of how my BIOS see the drives/partitions right now. Hope this helps..

Attached Files

Edited by todamax15, 27 June 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

In the above Gparted image sr0 is usually your optical drive but I have no idea what sr0p2 is unless it has something to do with GParted seeing the RAID disk and not making out what it is. Are any other devices shown in the dropdown box in the upper right?

See your user guide here. (page 18). You need to disable the Marvell RAID controller and enable the ICH SATA controller in regular BIOS by tapping the F1 key at boot. This would give you 4 separate drives. For normal personal use I try to avoid RAID configurations. Do you want to configure RAID? I am not that familiar with it. Somebody else on the forum hopefully can help with that. There is a setup guide in the manual for RAID. If you decide to go with separate drives I would do the following. For the boot disk, usually SATA0, I would attach the 500GB drive. For the other 500GB drive I would put that into an enclosure to use for image backups. Keep the other two WDC drives in the computer for DATA.

Here are the RAID configuration available on the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2015 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users