Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

i have a suspected hard drive issue with a windows xp system,

the system has alot of files and documents and programs that i need, i have made a backup of my files and documents,

i have a new hard drive that i will install xp onto, then load my backup onto it,

my problem is, i dont have the install cds for all the programs i use on the old hard drive, most importantly microsoft office package,

is there a way to transfer the programs over also?

i guess what im asking is.....is there a way to copy the entire contents of the drive to a new drive?.....including programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Is the PC running well enough to run an entire system backup? Technically, you could clone your failing drive straight to the new drive, if the failing one is running well enough to complete the task. If you are right about the drive beginning to fail (not yet failed), that should solve your problems.

Otherwise, if OS corruption turns out to be the problem, you can simply troubleshoot your problems using the traditional methodologies once it is on the new drive...

Here is some info on imaging and cloning:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029832/backing-up-your-entire-drive-cloning-vs-imaging.html

In your spot, I think this is the only option you have with regards to your programs. You have already backed up your files, which is great.

Edited by UpgradeMe, 27 January 2015 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users