Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Router Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jushcomb68

jushcomb68

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.  I have an 7 or 8 year old Linksys WRT310n in conjunction with my Time Warner Cable Arris cable modem.  My wifi signal to my new Samsung smart TV keeps losing its communication with the router, and wont reconnect until I unplug and reset my tv.  Also, the router has lost it's SSID and reverted back to factory settings three or four times.  I tested my bandwidth, and plugged into the router with a CAT 5 network cable I get 16 mbps on my ASUS laptop, but only get 7 mbps over wireless.  My Dell Inspiron pulls 16 mbps whether on cable OR wireless. 

Is it time to get a new router?  Is my ASUS laptop wireless card a POS?  What about my Samsung TV losing its signal? I am a network novice so any help would be appreciated!

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

You might just need to change your wireless channel.  If you have an Android device you can use WiFi Analyzer to see if there is less traffic on another channel.

#3 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, going to give it a try.  Decided to go ahead and get the wireless router anyhow, seeing as my present router is so old.  Found a nice deal online on a nice Tp-Link, and if nothing else, just the ability for 5g and USB 3.0 network storage is enough to convince me it was time.  :)

#4 beagle72

beagle72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

Routers do tend to fail non-gracefully with age. Overheating in particular is a common problem which can lead to unpredictable radio behavior. A router that is several years old and exhibiting connection problems is usually best replaced. Newer models often provide better range and interference filtering and usually run sub-$40 so it's not worth the aggravation fighting with an old failing router.

--

Confused about cables?

http://whatsthiscable.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users