Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus computer lockout with boot problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eastcoastdanny

Eastcoastdanny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Greetings everyone. Let me start by thanking everyone in advance for the resources and advice that is found on this forum.

So as to the problem i am having with my computer and my actions thus far i will start at the begining. I will be the first to admit that the things i have done so far were above the level I should have been and would appreciate any and all help. I have a toshiba satellite running Windows 8.1.

Last night my computer became infected with the malware that locks up your computer with the fake law enforcement ransome message. My computer would boot up and within two or so minutes the malware would pop up. I attempted to run root kill programs but there was not enough time for them to finish before being locked out. I attempted to go into safe mode with no luck, I was simply not allowed. I altered my boot sequence to go straight to safe mode with msconfig. Now when i start my computer it is stuck in a sequence of restarting, without ever loading to windows.

I know the experts will probably cringe about my tweaking with the computer in such a way. But this is where i currently stand.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 January 2015 - 05:06 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 8. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Seems like you need to boot to Window 8 installation media to use recovery options. From there you can choose System Restore.

If you don't have recovery media you can download it from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

That's a big download so maybe you'd prefer to try some other rescue disks.

For example Kaspersky Rescue Disk http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk#downloads

Or Emsisoft Emergency Kit http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of Bleeping Computer created the following guide for dealing with some types of ransomware infections using HitmanPro to create a HitmanPro kickstart USB drive: Your computer has been locked Ransomware Removal Guide using HitmanPro
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Eastcoastdanny

Eastcoastdanny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for your quick reply! I won't be in a position to download the recovery software till tommorrow, but i will do it and report back. My only question is will my data such as picture on my computer be deleted or will they be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users