Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop PEW96 HDD won't slide off?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hey guys, very first time I am coming across this issue, all screws removed from this unit but pulling on the middle plastic insert does not slide the HDD off it's connection? It's almost as if the HDD is glued to the casing as I can't lift off the back it either. Sorry for the link but having problems uploading the image here:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/2015-01-2715_52_05-20150127_153550jpg-IrfanViewZoom_985x739_zps0f6260e5.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hello.  I cannot seem to find a good video or instructions on hard drive removal but it appears as though you need to slide the drive to the right and then lift it out beyond those metal bars.  Do the metal bars surround the drive? Can we get a pic of the other side of the casing? Make sure there are no screws on the other side. Try to 'gently ' use a flathead screwdriver to pry the drive to slide to the right away from the connector. Does it move away?

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

I am very familiar with removing HDD's, only this one I can't explain and have tried to pry it out of the connector a little but something's still holding it in place, those 2 metal bars on the top and bottom of the HDD are caddy holders and yes they surround the back of the HDD.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Well I found a video for it. It looks like as long as those two metal bars are free than the only thing holding it in there is the hard drive connector and as you said it should slide out and up.  It could just be ' fused ' in there real good and prying it to the left or right away from the connector is the only thing holding the drive and caddy in.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

As mentioned if feels like it's glues to the casing because if it was stuck into the connector this would not explain why the back won't lift up even a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users