Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable connection problem from brighthouse. All ok with wifi usb adapter.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

This is Windows XP on an old Dell laptop. Just got new cable router modem and everything is fine except when I unplug USB adapter and plug in cable from modem I get strange message from bottom of screen. Message says badurl.grandstreetinteractive.com.

Is the problem with cable connection with modem or something else?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 January 2015 - 06:20 PM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Ths topic can be closed as I found the problem myself. The bad url message is actually just a bogus line totaly meaningless as windows often use it, if it does not know what to do, I guess.

The real cause was that I used the computer on Verizon DSL. Then when I gave it to my friend Julie she connected it to her cable modem from Brighthouse. She could get online just fine with the USB adapter. it seems that with WIFI you can get oline with any Iternet provider, provided you have the security key. But with the cable I had to use the Windows Network Wizard to set up the computer to connect to the Brighthouse Network.

Edited by Chris4835, 29 January 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for posting the solution.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users