Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98 Partition Re-size - Invalid Disk error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hello,

I have resized a dual boot (98 and XP) machine that was working great. I resized both the XP and 98 partition. The XP works fine but the 98 gives me the error: Invalid System Disk

I have tried the FDISK /MBR but no difference.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Have you tried running the SYS command on the drive? (Of course, just be absolutely sure you run it on the right drive from the right diskette.)

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

I have not tried that.

I have a windows 98 installation CD. I can get into the command prompt with that disk. What should I try from there?

Thanks in advance!

#4 Portaller

Portaller

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

From there, enter the command "SYS C:". You should get a message that says "System transferred". After that, see if you can boot into 98.

It refuses to run on those IOS's because the earlier versions of cIOScorp scooped out your Wii's innards and turned them into delicious Scrambled IOS Breakfast, which confused the crap out of their installer and gave TT all sorts of bizarre errors to scratch their heads over.

Limits are temporary, the boundaries of which are to be pushed by diligent study and application of oneself to the problem at hand.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Just a guess here ... there is a size limit for how big the partition can be regarding Win98. How big did you make the partition?

#6 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

~60GB

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

Does the HD's two partitions have to be:

-- a primary & active [C-Drive] made bootable

-- a 2nd partition being extended, within the extended - a logical D-Drive made bootable?

SYS C: and SYS D: necessary? I may be going back in my history too far, somebody correct me where I'm wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

The way I have it now:

Primary active C: with Windows 98. It WAS bootable but now, I cannot.

2nd partition is drive D and it's logical.

In the dual boot (boot.ini) I set up the selection between one OS or the other. They were both flawless.

Good query on the C: and D:, however, the windows xp loads fine right now.

From there, enter the command "SYS C:". You should get a message that says "System transferred". After that, see if you can boot into 98.

I tried using that command in both the defaulted A: (where the command prompt lands when first entered), E: (CD-ROM drive), and C: (windows 98 installation location).

All selections did not work (gave that standard cannot find batch or command error).

I'm sorry, I cannot remember what the error was but it was very standard and comparable to the current window's CMD error: "******" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file)).

I did a search on the CD for SYS.com and it could not find it.

We're close now! :) Don't give up on me just yet.

#9 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

EDIT: Ok, so I finally dug out an old disk drive (tried 3 and the 4th one works) and a working floppy (tried 3 and the 4th one works ... hmmm), formatted it and made a win98se startup disk and was able to run SYS C:

YAY! That got 98 working.... but that did not give me the boot menu and XP seemed inaccessible.

Soooo, I loaded the XP disc and tried to repair.... and I did but it basically re-installed XP, leaving my program files but no settings (boooo) so hours later of updating I appear to be back to normal!

Looking back, I'm sure there was a way to edit the boot.ini from Win98 to show the boot menu...... oh well. This worked.

Thanks for the help!

:)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

from an old win.ini file:
MenuDropAlignment=0
MenuShowDelay=0
-- 'cause it's been a long time since I've had 98SE, can't test it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

Well, I am not quite sure if they are related but I cannot access my server through 98 because of a IPC$ password request.

I opened a new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565544/ipc-password/

Thanks again for all of your help! Have a gander at the link ^^^ and let me know what you think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users