Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I have Windows 7 Firewall w/Comodo Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes my Comodo Firewall seems to be the "last thing" to come alive in the tray notification area.

Should I have Windows 7 Firewall on by default?  But, that would mean two active firewalls, correct?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

You should only have one firewall installed at a time. Having more than one firewall program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as seriously impairing the performance of your PC.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply!  Your answer is what I thought also.  No benefit of having Win7Firewall active with Comodo or any other 3rd party firewall. I'll continue having Win7 Firewall disabled, again, thanks  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

You're welcome :)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Depending on the firewall you're going to have, it's going to "implement" the Windows Firewall, hence it'll end up being controlled by the firewall you installed. Mine is "disabled" (because I can't change the settings), however I have a message saying that the Windows Firewall is being managed by Kaspersky Internet Security.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

Depending on the firewall you're going to have, it's going to "implement" the Windows Firewall, hence it'll end up being controlled by the firewall you installed. Mine is "disabled" (because I can't change the settings), however I have a message saying that the Windows Firewall is being managed by Kaspersky Internet Security.

FYI, Aura: Most of the time it's AV solutions piggybacking on the Windows Firewall - standalone third party firewalls are already developed to have a unique firewall algorithm of their own. (except Online Armor - people use that for HIPS than firewall :P )

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

I would have to install Comodo Firewall in a VM and see how it goes and what message I get.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users