Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heimdal Free

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Hello,

I Hope my question is in the right forum,

But want to ask if the new program the

Heimdal Free  is any better than using secunia PSI.

Thankyou for any info.

Have a good day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Well, I use SecuniaPSI and it does the job perfectly fine for me. However, Heimdal seems to have additional features that you might like. I guess the question here is to see if you're interested in Heimdal's extra features or if SecuniaPSI does the job for you. I don't know if Heimdal scans for every programs, or only those tagged as "vulnerable", but SecuniaPSI pretty much checks every single one of them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

CSIS Heimdal Security Agent

Heimdal...takes care of updating your vulnerable Windows programs...Unlike Secunia´s PSI, Heimdal doesn´t want to keep track of all your software, but it´s got a steadily updated list of possible vulnerable software, which can be used to exploit your Windows. Every program that´s on this list, will be periodically checked for updates and if Heimdal finds a new version, it will be installed seamlessly in the background. As it doesn´t keep track of all your software, Heimdal is very ressource friendly and it loads silently in the background at Windows startup.

Everything comes for free, you don´t have to pay anything. However, if you are more concerned about your security, you can upgrade Heimdal to a Pro version and if you´re running a business to the corporate version which allows you a centralized management of all your Heimdal agents. The Pro-version adds Anti-Malware functionality to Heimdal, enables the behavioral based detection of malware and also adds a DNS based blocking of dangerous web content, preventing traffic to servers which are known to host malicious programs...

Heimdal FAQs
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

I wonder how a software which task is to update outdated vulnerable program can come with an Antimalware functionality and behavorial based detection. That should be two different products.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

The anti-malware functionality is limited...

Heimdal should be used in conjunction with your preferred anti virus program. It doesn´t claim to be a full featured anti-virus product, as it has no removal routines for malware, but it can scan your PC for infostealers that are not detected by common antivirus programms.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

There's that. They should focus on developping a full fledged Antimalware product, instead of making us pay for one with limited capabilities. And it's not the only product like that, there's quite a few of them. Like, if the Pro version was covering every single program, or that it could detect certain exploits being used against the programs it watches, then I would understand. But other than that, it's not really needed.

unite_blue.png

#7 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Well, I use SecuniaPSI and it does the job perfectly fine for me. However, Heimdal seems to have additional features that you might like. I guess the question here is to see if you're interested in Heimdal's extra features or if SecuniaPSI does the job for you. I don't know if Heimdal scans for every programs, or only those tagged as "vulnerable", but SecuniaPSI pretty much checks every single one of them.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I asppreciate it. :love4u:

#8 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

CSIS Heimdal Security Agent

Heimdal...takes care of updating your vulnerable Windows programs...Unlike Secunia´s PSI, Heimdal doesn´t want to keep track of all your software, but it´s got a steadily updated list of possible vulnerable software, which can be used to exploit your Windows. Every program that´s on this list, will be periodically checked for updates and if Heimdal finds a new version, it will be installed seamlessly in the background. As it doesn´t keep track of all your software, Heimdal is very ressource friendly and it loads silently in the background at Windows startup.

Everything comes for free, you don´t have to pay anything. However, if you are more concerned about your security, you can upgrade Heimdal to a Pro version and if you´re running a business to the corporate version which allows you a centralized management of all your Heimdal agents. The Pro-version adds Anti-Malware functionality to Heimdal, enables the behavioral based detection of malware and also adds a DNS based blocking of dangerous web content, preventing traffic to servers which are known to host malicious programs...

Heimdal FAQs

Hi,

Ok, so another question, can Heimdal be used along with secunia or would it be best to uninstall secunia before downloaded Heimdal?

Thank you for the great info quietman.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

I'm pretty sure that both these software can be used alongside since they are scan based and not real time (unless you buy the Pro version of Heimdal). Also, I cannot see a reason why these two products couldn't be ran alongside since all they do is check for program updates and download them if instructed to (unless automatic update is enabled on Heimdal).

unite_blue.png

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

It could be used alongside SPSI but then you would have to deal with redundancy so it's probably best to choose one or the other.

#11 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hi,

Ok, well I see no need to run both hemidal and secunia together really.

I do have secunia and it looks to be doing the job fine.

But was curious you know if hemidal was better than secunia but sounds like they are both pretty much the same.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

BTW...Calendar Of Updates is an excellent resource to check on a daily basis for updates to popular programs.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

I would say that SecuniaPSI does more in a way that it checks for every programs installed, not only the known vulnerable ones, like mentionned above. Also, this is a matter of personal opinion but I prefer unia's interface over Heimdal which looks like an old Windows XP program :P What's attractive however is the high number of additional features it offers, but that I personally don't need.

unite_blue.png

#14 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

That is interesting.

Thankyou quietman :love4u:

#15 quietman7

quietman7