Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Camera over network

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

Hi!

Today I wanted to help my friend set up his security cam surveilence system.

He has alraedy set everything up, he only wanted me to enable him the was so he could monitor the cam over internet (wherever he was at the moment).

So I came to his house and loged into the default profile of his cam web service via an utp cable. I wrote down the IP address and other info and changed his http port from 80 to 88 in the cam web service interface.

Then I was about to port forward the ports on the router but he has lost his router username and password (yeah, stupid, I know).

Anyway, we were able to log into the cam through an utp cable which we plugged into the router by typing down 192.168.1.10:88 (IP of the cam and the http port). but we got no picture inside.

If we logged directly into the cam receiver (by plugging a monitor and a mouse into it) we were able to see the picture from the cam but when logged into it through a computer via an utp cable and router we got no picture. Web service yes, but no picture, no video.

So, what could be the problem about that? I tought it could be that maybe the other port (the 557 o somethng like that) which is not http (I forgot the name, it was an abbreviaton like RSTS or something) was maybe not set up in the router? But the 88 wasn't as well but we were still able to get into the cam web interface.

If anyone knows, please do tell. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

If I read your post correctly you have no lan connection to the security system.  You have to solve that first before moving on to port forwarding/configuring the router.

Might want to put the port back to 80 on the system and try accessing again.

The router or forwarding play no part in your lan access of the security system.

#3 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

No, there is LAN access. I was able to log into the security cam system this way: computer -> router -> security system.

The forwarding on the router only plays role if I want to access the security cam system through the internet? If I want to access it like I wrote in the first line of this message then I don't need any port forwarding?

Is it really possible that I can't see the cam view because I changed the http port from 80 to 88?

Thank you! :)

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

What kind of cam system is it? Is this just a regular web cam or Is it a DVR? If so what kind? You may be seeing the local ip address yet not triggering the cam software that is usually built in on the DVR. If you are using a regular run of the mill cam then what software are you using to publish the cam?

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

The forwarding on the router only plays role if I want to access the security cam system through the internet?

Correct.

If I want to access it like I wrote in the first line of this message then I don't need any port forwarding?

Port forwarding only relates to access via the internet.

Is it really possible that I can't see the cam view because I changed the http port from 80 to 88?

Possible.  It should work via the lan right out of the box once you configure its ip address.  What do the setup instructions tell you to do?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 27 January 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#6 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

What kind of cam system is it? Is this just a regular web cam or Is it a DVR? If so what kind? You may be seeing the local ip address yet not triggering the cam software that is usually built in on the DVR. If you are using a regular run of the mill cam then what software are you using to publish the cam?

It's a DVR. I don't know the exact model as I'm not there now. No additionla software, I think, only what's built in the security system itself (an interface based on Linux, I think).

#7 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

The forwarding on the router only plays role if I want to access the security cam system through the internet?

Correct.

If I want to access it like I wrote in the first line of this message then I don't need any port forwarding?

Port forwarding only relates to access via the internet.

Possible.  It should work via the lan right out of the box once you configure its ip address.  What do the setup instructions tell you to do?

My friend who owns the cam bought it second hand and has no papers at all. I will try changing the http port back to 80 and see what happens, thank you.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

You should be able to lookup the make and model of dvr and download the manual from their web site.

Can you ping the ip address you assigned to the DVR via the lan?  I am wondering if the network port in the dvr has gone bad.

#9 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

I think it's this model: Dahua dh-dvr5104c. There is no manual for it though, only a tech spec list.

I'm not there to try it now but I think I should be able to ping the DVR's IP with a computer connected to the same router since I was albe to log into the DVR's interface this way. Why do you think that the network port of the DVR could be bad?

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

You can't seem to access the video via the lan though you were able to get to the dvr menu.  You are right no manual that I can find either.

#11 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yes, I got to the DVR menu of the system with the computer going through the router and into the DVR system. I think that if I was able to enter the interface I should see video as well. Maybe a missing plugin or some setting - or as you said before, maybe I should change the http port setting from 88 back to 80 as it was by default. I wouldn't think that the physical net port is bad.

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

I would agree.  Wish there was a manual or other info available.  My dvr systems using CMS Lite to view the camera feeds from the dvr.

#13 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Suggest you visit this site and see if any of the DVR systems looks the same. They have a great download center with owners manuals, DVR firmware updates and other software. Here is a screen shot of my DVR settings if it helps you at all. 

http://www.ussscctv.com/

Zk0lK8K.png

Edited by mralias518, 27 January 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#14 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanx for the link but my friend's DVR is not on the site, neither is the manual.

I see that you have a static IP set for the DVR which is smart (so that DHCP can't give you a different one). I'm more interested how you have set the things in your router (if you have set it so that you can access your DVR from the internet).

#15 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Thanx for the link but my friend's DVR is not on the site, neither is the manual.

I see that you have a static IP set for the DVR which is smart (so that DHCP can't give you a different one). I'm more interested how you have set the things in your router (if you have set it so that you can access your DVR from the internet).

Set Port forward 192.168.1.180, port 2030, Type TCP That's all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users