Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if windows or Word ...files keep appearing corrupted docx

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 britlad2

britlad2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hi

For some reason more and more of my word files appear to be becoming corrupted " The file ~ [     ].docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents"

This has been happening for the last 3-4 weeks.....any help greatly appreciated as I am losing saved work by the day.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hello, and Welcome

A ~ in front of a file name usually indicates a temp file that Windows creates. Can you open the original file or is the file name with the ~ in front the orginal file you are trying to open?

#3 britlad2

britlad2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hi thanks for getting back to me (sorry for the delay I have been away past week).

Nope the file which has ~ are the only versions I have.  Originally they didn't have ~ but they are changing to that ~ also the names of the file have changed with letters missing ..... is there a virus or root kit orrupting my files....I am loosing files each time I log in I am noticing more changing like this.... any help greatly appreciated!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

First thing I suggest would be to run the chkdsk /r command.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

Having done that, I would then run a reliable hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive reflecting Windows system files or the apparently damaged files.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users