Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade cpu in dell latitude e5420 laptop?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

hi,I would like to upgrade the processor in my dell latitude e5420 laptop but can't find the specs that tell you what socket the processor is and what processors it can be upgraded with.

Currently the processor is a 2520m i5 2nd generation.

If anyone can help that would be great thanks as I can't find this info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

#3 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8V0nmdDMpgVH3Kv44zkAr1X

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

How much did you want to spend may we ask why you want to upgrade that processor you have in there is still pretty good?  Do you simply want quad core?  Something running slower than you want?  According to dell this laptop uses the HM65 chipset Socket G2.  Your board supports a good range of processors.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

It appears the real limiting factor with this laptop is it only supports up to 4GB of ram.  Which doesn't leave much to the OS when your take into account 1 gig is used for the video.  It DOES support SSD's up to 256 GB which would greatly increase performance.  But that memory block is a real downer IMO.

#6 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

hi,yes I like the 2520m...I'm not fully 100% on upgrading if my processor is still quite good I'll just leave it.

I was actually considering a new laptop recently and really want a white one like a vaio or toshiba satellite but can't find any with a similar or better cpu than my dell.

I only want to pay around £300 new or used.

do you know of any white lappys with a good cpu like mine?

#7 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

It appears the real limiting factor with this laptop is it only supports up to 4GB of ram.  Which doesn't leave much to the OS when your take into account 1 gig is used for the video.  It DOES support SSD's up to 256 GB which would greatly increase performance.  But that memory block is a real downer IMO.

no,it supports upto 8gb max...I'm intending to upgrade soon.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hi .. I would then definitely upgrade the ram to 8gb and think about upgrading to an SSD.  If then in the future it still does not do what you want speed wise upgrade the processor.  I really do not look at laptops for their color and 300.00 your looking at used for sure on a laptop or older model so maybe you can find one on eBay or amazon you like but I suspect the system will be equally comparable to that of your own.

#9 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

thanks,I'll hunt around and try and find used one and hopefully get one similar in spec to mine.

#10 eb113013

eb113013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

I know this is an old thread but, if you think that this laptop is only upgradeable to 4GB RAM and a 256GB SSD then you must not know anything about computers. I currently have 8GB RAM in mine, a long with a 1TB HDD, so pretty sure it can take a SSD that's around the same capacity.

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

I know this is an old thread but, if you think that this laptop is only upgradeable to 4GB RAM and a 256GB SSD then you must not know anything about computers. I currently have 8GB RAM in mine, a long with a 1TB HDD, so pretty sure it can take a SSD that's around the same capacity.

Hi,

Please don't reply to threads that haven't been replied to in more than a week, unless the OP explains that they recently still need assistance. 

Thank you,

Chicken

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users