Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macafee's mcagent.exe and Avast Free anti virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gyrene70

gyrene70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Equipment and installed Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware software:

Asus 200s notebook, windows 8.1 updated

Avast free anti virus (always running)

Malwarebytes Anti malware

Super Anti Spyware (always running)

Spybot search and destroy (just installed, running at the moment)

herd protect scanner

Was using Ccleaner to look at my startup programs, found mcagent.exe. It appears to be an updater for Macafee's anti virus. I don't care for their program, so if it was pre installed I removed it.

Does anyone know if any of my other programs would use it? If it doesn't serve a purpose I'd rather not use the CPU cycles.

Thanks

Edited by gyrene70, 27 January 2015 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

having all these anti virus programs running at the same time will do more harm then good,

pick one and stick with it, disable or remove the others

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

mikey, he only have one Antivirus product installed, which is avast! Free Antivirus. The rest: Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot and herdProtect are all Antimalware. There's differences between an Antivirus and Antimalware, they are important to know. Also, gyrene, you're fine. The McAfee component you deleted is solely used by McAfee products, not your avast! or any other Antimalware program on your system so it's all good.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 gyrene70

gyrene70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Thanks, it will be off the machine shortly!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

No problem. If needed, you could run the McAfee Clean-up Tool to make sure that it'll remove any traces of McAfee left on your system.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

McAfee recommends you uninstall using the Windows Control Panel before running the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool).

Use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) to remove data completely for a McAfee Security product installation on a supported Windows operating system.

IMPORTANT: You must uninstall your McAfee products using the Windows Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows 8, 7 and Vista) before you run MCPR...

How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users