Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows movie maker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:49 AM

Hi. I have downloaded windows movie maker. And like others I have discovered am having no sound issues with that application.

The app is not importing sound with the movies I import on to it for editing.

I can go on to make edits in silence and save and play and still no sound until I have closed movie maker down completely.

Then going to the new file and playing it the sound is then present.

When I first installed the app to my horror all sound on my computer was muted (everything, music files video, youtube etc)  and I could not find a way of getting it back until I closed the computer down and restarted. Thankfully the sound returned but as I say still no sound within the app when being used.

I also worry its going to kill all sound on my computer again.

Basic or not I do like its editing capabilities which suits my needs so I hope I don't have to get rid of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Hi malcom :)

Is it possible to know what kind of file you are working with (.mp4, .mkv, .avi, etc.)? Do you have any codecs installed on your system?

OlT01aD.pngDxDiag Log
Follow the instructions below to create a dxdiag log and post it in your next reply.
  • Press on the Win Key + R keys to bring up the Run menu;
  • Enter dxdiag in the box and press on Enter;
  • If a message comes up asking you if you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed or not, click on Yes;
  • Once the dxdiag report window open, wait for it to load completely. The progress bar is in the bottom left corner;
  • Click on the Save All Information... button, then save the file on your Desktop as dxdiag.txt;
  • Open the text file, then copy/paste all the content in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hi malcom :)

Is it possible to know what kind of file you are working with (.mp4, .mkv, .avi, etc.)? Do you have any codecs installed on your system?

OlT01aD.pngDxDiag Log
Follow the instructions below to create a dxdiag log and post it in your next reply.

• Press on the Win Key + R keys to bring up the Run menu;
  • Enter dxdiag in the box and press on Enter;
  • If a message comes up asking you if you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed or not, click on Yes;
  • Once the dxdiag report window open, wait for it to load completely. The progress bar is in the bottom left corner;
  • Click on the Save All Information... button, then save the file on your Desktop as dxdiag.txt;
  • Open the text file, then copy/paste all the content in your next reply;

Sorry I have no idea what a DxDiag Log is. ?.I am not that technically capable with computers.

However the files I am working with are mainly mp4.  if only the sound issue was not there movie maker is a free Microsoft app so it has limited functions but ideal for basic editing of mp4 movies  To be honest I have heard of codecs but don't really know what they are or where they would be on the computer. Am I right in thinking codecs are file types ??

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

Follow the instructions in my first post, they explain you how to output a dxdiag log and post it here for me. Also, codecs aren't file type, more like interpreters if you want to see it that way.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

I came across a web posting that suggested one person did not wait to ' preview ' the video until the entire video and audio was fully loaded.  Are you waiting long enough for the file to be loaded?

Another suggested this fix:

This works for me in Windows 8.1 to fix this:

type "services" in the Windows search box

From the list of services, choose Windows Audio

Stop the service, wait 10 seconds or so it will say ' stopped ' then click

Start the service

Sound now plays in Movie Maker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users