Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook and Instagram offline

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

Social media websites Facebook and Instagram are back online after an apparent worldwide shutdown.

The online blackout lasted more than half an hour on Tuesday.

Matchmaking mobile app Tinder also went down.

It is not clear what caused the outages.

Instagram had tweeted it was trying to fix the problem but deleted the post once the issue was resolved.

"We're aware of an outage affecting Instagram and are working on a fix. Thank you for your patience," it said.

People took to Twitter to express their frustration and eventual relief over the blackout, using the hashtags #facebookdown and #instagramdown.

Hacking group Lizard Squad has claimed responsibility for the shutdown.

"Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, AIM, Hipchat #offline #LizardSquad," it tweeted.

Lizard Squad recently claimed responsibility for hacking the Malaysia Airlines website, in which it displayed a picture a lizard wearing a top hat over the error message "404 - Plane Not Found".

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/26112710/facebook-and-instagram-offline/

Oh no for over half an hour millions of people had a real life. :smash:

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

Oh no for over half an hour millions of people had a real life. :smash:

:hysterical:

I had an exam during the blackout :P

#3 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

Hahaha! I swear, I saw some people legit freaking out because they couldn't get on Facebook for half an hour.

And yet these same people will tell you that they really don't like Facebook very much, but they feel like they have to go on there to stay connected to their friends.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

I didn't even notice it. I barely go on Facebook anymore, and if it doesn't load, I don't waste my time trying to troubleshoot it. And Instagram is cancer, if I want to see pictures of salads and good food, I'll just go out in a restaurant and order my own plate.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

I almost forgot what everyone's meals looked like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users