Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing while gaming

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HypeFree

HypeFree

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

Well to start off I would just like to point out when it comes to locating an internal problem with a computer I'm 100% clueless. Now that that's out of the way the problem I have is when I'm playing any demanding game (I shouldn't really say any because I've only had it happen with like 3-4 games) my computer will up and freeze. Now I've seen problems similar to this on other sites where their computer would freeze and repeat sounds and then unfreeze after a little bit. But mine doesn't even do that. The screen freezes 100% you can't alt+tab out you can't ctrl+alt+del out, nothing. Along with this the sound also stops. There is no repeating sound or anything it's just silent (this includes if I'm listening to music from outside the game in the background).

The first time it happened I just kind of sat there seeing if it would unfreeze or something but it didn't. Then the next time I just kind of restarted it right away (due to the fact I was playing Battlefield 4 with friends and I wanted to get back on asap) so I didn't really wait to see if anything would happen. However the next time I waited... and waited... and waited. For a total of about 10-15 minutes to see if it would finally unfreeze or just blue screen crash. Nothing happened at all. So I decided to check some things out myself as well as look into the problem online which is where I saw people having similar problems but not really the same.

I did run the memory diagnostic thing that Windows has and I didn't get any errors with it. I have ran CCleaner as well to clear up registry's and stuff. And the more I think about it there can't really be too many options for where the problem lies otherwise I would think the computer would blue screen crash. One thing I can say for sure though is that this only started happening after the Omega drivers from AMD came out. About 3 days after. However I did do a repair on those and it is still happening. I would also like to point out that like I said before it's only on games that seem to be fairly demanding or aren't optimized too well (I guess). The only 4 that it has happened on is Battlefield 4, GTA IV, Triad Wars Beta (Sleeping Dogs mmo basically), and The Forest (An early access steam game, however this one is a bit different it has happened twice in this game but ONLY when I open up the menu in game (esc) and then click 'Exit to desktop' and not every time either; the others have all happened randomly during gameplay). I can play other games such as World Of Tanks, League of Legends, Mount & Blade: Warband, Red Orchestra 2 and various others with absolutely no issues though.

My computer Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Processor: AMD FX-6100 Six Core @ 3.3GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950
Ram: 16 Gigabytes (I'm not sure of the make)
Hard drive: 1 TB (Again not sure of the make however under local disk properties it says: WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0 ATA Device if that means anything)

So basically I'm wondering if there are tests I can run or if somebody has seen this issue before and already knows what the problem is and how to fix it. Also I'm attaching my DxDiag in the files just in case I missed something or that tells you more about the Ram/Hard drive. Thanks! Attached File  DxDiag.txt   27.31KB   2 downloads

Edited by HypeFree, 27 January 2015 - 04:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

Update your Sound and Video drivers.  If you're still having the issue after that it may be heat related and you will need to open the machine and blow out the fans and coolers.

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hello, 

Your system components seem more than enough to run the games you quoted. Therefore - first thing you should do is follow @Kilroy's advice and check how things work out. You can also check your CPU temperature right after the freezing occurs. 
If the problem still isn't solved after updating drivers, and you notice excessive temperatures - the culprit might be the PSU. Can you tell me what it is and it's output? If your system isn't getting enought power it can cause overheat problems and freezing, especially when components are at full load. 

Lastly, you may want to check your HDD for errors or bad sectors, just in case. HDD issues may also cause freezing in some cases, when your computer is trying to access a corrupt sector for example. The recommended utility for your hard drive is WD Data Lifeguard:  http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=AUMO9B

Hope this was helpful, and feel free to ask any further questions

Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 27 January 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#4 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Well I tried updating both the Sound and Video drivers but they're both up to date. I also ran the WD Data Lifeguard program and it passed. So all I have left to do is blow out the fans which is when I'll also check the PSU since I don't have any canned air right now. Thanks for the help so far guys hopefully a simple cleaning will do the trick!

#5 Firebeast

Firebeast

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

I think heat is the problem.

#6 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Okay so I still haven't been able to get canned air to clean it out. However I do have a screenshot of speed fan. The problem is I don't know what any of it means. Apart from I'm assuming the little fire icon is that those temps are so hot my computer could spontaneously combust. http://prntscr.com/5z4u8x so I'm assuming this pretty much confirms that the problem is heat related. Now I just want to know of a way to figure out the problem if it isn't just that it needs to be cleaned.

Edit: I ended up finding out that I did have some canned air so I cleaned out my computer as much as possible. And Temp 2 and 3 from the above picture went down to where they should be 38-45 (according to the program) HOWEVER. I did find that my GPU gets extremely hot, like 76 C when I was playing a game utilizing Cry Engine 3 however everything else for the most part was okay. So now I'm wondering if one of my fans just isn't running properly or if those Omega drivers from AMD managed to do something awful to my GPU since like I said this only started happening after those updates.

Finally I did also get my power supply stuff as well. It's a 650W LSP Ultra if that helps.

Edit: Edit: The last update most likely. I just opened it up while it was running and one of my GPU fans isn't working (hooray for that). Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully in the future if something like this happens again I'll be able to figure it out on my own with some of the knowledge I gained here.

Edited by HypeFree, 30 January 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#7 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

Alright so I figured I should probably just post in here again rather than making an entire new thread. After looking into it a little more I noticed that the fan does start spinning on the initial boot of the computer. Like it spins for ~2 seconds and then it just stops and the other fan keeps going. So now I'm wondering if the fan is actually broken or if there is a possibility a third party program, or something, is telling the fan to stop (I read that it wasn't possible though because if that were the case both fans would be off). I did roll back my drivers to the ones prior to the Omega drivers just to see if that changed anything and it didn't. So is it possible that it just needs to be oiled (no idea how to do that)? Or is it possible that my PSU isn't giving enough power to the card and the card is only running one of fans because of that (if so how would you even fix that)? Or is the fan actually dead and needs to be replaced? Or finally, is it possible that it is a some sort of third party thing that is telling the fan that it isn't needed?

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

This all sounds okay, my GTX 660 has been running games at 75ºC for a couple of years. Hell, 50ºC isn't actually that mutch. And maybe when the GPU Throttles down it just shuts down the fan to reduce noise and power usage? There are plenty of "silent" PSU's and video cards that shut down the fan when not under a heavy load. 

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

I read that it isn't possible to do without a certain feature which the 7950 doesn't have (I mean the power saving feature). The card is also getting very hot on games that don't require many resources, hell it gets fairly hot when I'm just watching youtube videos. I may not know too much about the internals of a computer but I know different cards run at different temperatures. I do know however that when it does freeze it's either over 75ºC or does so because it's running at that heat for an extended period of time. Tomorrow I'm going to make certain that it is the fan by opening up my tower and checking to see if it kicks in when I play BF4 since I haven't actually done that. If it does turn out to not be the fan then I have no idea what the issue is since all other temps stay about where they should be. Meaning there is something completely different going on. However at the moment I'm about 95% sure that it's the fan issue.

Edit: It's most definitely the fan. I ran BF4 and Saints Row 4 and it never kicked on. However for Saints Row 4 it never went over 74ºC. However I did decide to look up what 7950s usually run at heat wise, and although they're different makers people were saying most AMD cards can run between 90-95ºC, and at about 80ºC before you can start to actually do damage to the card. Though I still have no clue what is exactly wrong with the card since it does the start up thing. I sent a ticket to Sapphire to see what they said and they just want me to do an RMA but for me that's not really possible since I have online courses for College so I can't be without a computer for more than 2-3 days and I have no backup for anything. So if anybody has any ideas on a fix that I could personally do or a way to find out what is wrong with the fan it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by HypeFree, 02 February 2015 - 06:04 PM.

#10 Firebeast

Firebeast

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:04 PM

I think its either software messing with it or its the fans connection, Try wiggling the fans power cable around to while running a game to see if that's the issue. Remember to watch out for static electricity. Another thing i would suggest you do is find a diagnostics program that can tell you the status of your fans or have a program that can let you control the fans like one of the programs on here https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/ and also use this http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine to determine your psu requirements.

#11 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Alright I'd like to say thank you a ton for the link to the TriXX program Firebeast, that just probably saved me $20-30 for a new fan. However this once again brings a new problem. The fan does work. However I can only get it to start spinning if I put the fans to 82%. The Second fan will NOT spin until 82, at 81% the fan stops. So the two or possibly one problem is; what is telling the fan to not spin until that level and what is making my fans not go to that level when the GPU starts to get too hot?

Does anyone know if the Omega drivers did something with the fans of AMD cards. Because like I said this didn't start happening until after those drivers came out. And there is always the possiblity that I didn't actually roll back my drivers properly so whatever was messing with the fans is could still be on my computer. The option to completely reformat my computer is also still on the table (however I really don't want to if I don't have to) since I do have a 1TB passport.

Edit: I should also be good in the PSU department, I'm not 100% sure that I entered all the info in properly on that site but I got something like 401W recommended.

Edited by HypeFree, 03 February 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Can't you do a clean reinstall of the drivers? As in deleting any profiles and settings. To make sure there isn't something set up wrongly

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#13 HypeFree

HypeFree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

I uninstalled Catalyst and ran driver fusion to get rid of the Omega drivers completely and then rolled back to the drivers before them (since I hadn't had any problems when I was still using those drivers) but that didn't seem to fix anything. If there is another way to completely uninstall a driver, or if I possibly just didn't do it right I'd be more than glad to try it again I just don't know how to do it a different way so I would need instructions.

At the moment I'm just using custom fan settings on TriXX so that when it gets to 74ºC both fans will kick on to cool it down. However I haven't actually tested it to see if it allows me to play things like Battlefield for extended amounts of time as I haven't had the time to do so. Hopefully this weekend I can put it through its runs. However if anybody knows a different way to clear drivers and settings, or just wants to post instructions on how to do it to make sure I didn't make any mistakes the first time then I'll try that as well.

Edited by HypeFree, 05 February 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

If the second fan won't come on unless you put it at 82% then the fan is failing.  Just get another fan. 

#15 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

Yes, was thinking what bleeping said, the second fan might be dying, causing it not to start until enough power is sent to it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users