Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which graphics / pic editing suite to use?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lost society

lost society

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

I was about to get photoshop, until someone said to me there a few other choices that are cheaper like GIMP, paint shop pro etc.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best to use, but on a small budget and preferably free. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:27 AM

I use GIMP (but can't work with it).

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

I was about to get photoshop, until someone said to me there a few other choices that are cheaper like GIMP, paint shop pro etc..

Gimp is free.

The 10 best alternatives to Photoshop - Creative Bloq

11 Free Adobe Photoshop Alternatives (Softwares)

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

free copy of photoshop cs2
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/downloadnow/3689/?evp=87891a21479434ff268a84747f5f653c&file=1

I use photoimpact x3
http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/photoimpact/default.html

Edited by shanepearce, 27 January 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#5 slowlane

slowlane

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

I use only these free editors.

#6 lost society

lost society
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:01 AM

i create quite technical graphics and designs so needs to be quite comprehensive and detailed

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

You are going to have to try some of these options and see what suits your needs. There are some great suggestions above look at them google them see what other users think, Yes I know it's a slow process however the other choice is photo shop.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

To stick my tuppence worth in. 

I have used Serif's PhotoPlus and DrawPlus for a number of years now and am very happy with both. What is more, they play very nicely together. DrawPlus is a vector graphics package very similar to Corel Draw.

I have a copy of GIMP on my computer but found it quite difficult to get to know, but then since I only installed it out of curiosity I probably haven't given it a fair chance. It is certainly full featured and they don't come any cheaper !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

I also use GIMP, the download links are here for more-or-less any operating system.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

This page takes an un-usually long time to load in comparison to most web pages.

Edited by rp88, 29 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 Marnel

Marnel

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

I use photoshop :)

#11 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

i create quite technical graphics and designs so needs to be quite comprehensive and detailed

Then you should take a look at GIMP, there will be a learning curve,but it is very full featured and "free".

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Why the quote marks around free ?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

In his post #1 lost society said "Does anyone have any suggestions on the best to use, but on a small budget and preferably free."

Using Quotation Marks
The primary function of quotation marks is to set off and represent exact language (either spoken or written) that has come from somebody else.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/

So the quotation marks were only my attempt to communicate to lost society that Gimp would be a "free" download.

My use of the quotes may very well be incorrect punctuation, because I did not use the full quote, if so I apologize.

Also I placed my period on the wrong side of the quotes, instead of "free". it should be "free."

Regards

Gary

#14 lost society

lost society
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

Thank you all very much for the feedback and recommendations.. I've asked elsewhere too and they also suggest GIMP. I've now downloaded it and having a play and learning the ropes.. So far it looks great. It's actually surprised me that it's free, for what it seems like it can do anyway. Thanks again. Feel free to reply with other options too. Would like to try a few before judging of course.. Corel paint pro I think it's called, is what I'll be having a go with next. Thanks guys & girls

#15 lost society

lost society
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

I'd rather go through the slow process of researching all the ideas you've replied with and get the right program for me for sure. I'll be using it alot, so will be worth the time and research. :-) This is such a helpful forum. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users