Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ylapointe

ylapointe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:24 AM

so im making a comic. in it, i have a character that is a cyborg, she can hack into computers and just about any technology they send information through wireless signals.

my question is do wireless signals use frequensies wave lengths? how do they work?

if they use frequencies, could you access this signal through a second signal of the same frequency?

thanks!

Edited by ylapointe, 27 January 2015 - 02:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:31 AM

Hi ylapointe :welcome: to BC
As this is a comic why not go all out with the cyborg being able to air gap hack any PC,

Israeli researchers presented the air-gap network hacking technique to compromise a system, even if it is isolated from the Internet, using a cellphone.

http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/25782/hacking/air-gap-network-hacking.html

Also something like this
KeySweeper a $10 spy tool disguised as Wall Charger which can read data from any wireless Microsoft Keyboard - See more at: http://www.techworm.net/category/security-news/page/4#sthash.Kq4Ti9Ij.dpuf

Edited by NickAu, 27 January 2015 - 02:37 AM.

#3 ylapointe

ylapointe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

hmmm interesting... i like it. the article is a little confusing to understand though. so it basically accesses devices through the electromagnetic waves they give off... but HOW? the devices are GIVING OFF electromagnetic waves ... not RECIEVING them are they?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:51 AM

i like it. the article is a little confusing to understand though.

You do not really need to understand it, Remember this is fiction, Try this. The cyborg can air hack any PC, That bit is believable as air hacking at least in theory works. Now make up the rest, The cyborg airhacks any PC by using ultrasonic rare earth nuclear atoms only found on the west face of Olympic Mons  that it bounces off the processor,

Sounds good to me. 

PS if you use my idea and you make Millions, I want half LOL.

Olympus Mons, the largest volcano in the Solar System is located on Mars

Edited by NickAu, 27 January 2015 - 02:56 AM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:38 AM

802.11 Wireless networking uses 2.4, 3.6, 5, and 60GHz. Frequencies. Each band is separated by Channels. You can view all the frequencies at Wikepedia Wireless Channels List

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 January 2015 - 03:39 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

if they use frequencies, could you access this signal through a second signal of the same frequency?

Wireless signals in computers are based on radio. Radio is the technology that uses electromagnetic signals to communicate.

You have a transmitter that produces an electromagnetic wave and a receiver that receives the electromagnetic wave.

Receivers and transmitters have active electronic components (like transistors) and passive electronic components (like antennas).

There are many types of radio transmissions: narrowband, wideband, ultrawideband, spread-spectrum, ...

Many of these terms relate to the type of frequencies used.

WiFi a and b uses narrowband

Bluetooth and GSM use spread-spectrum

Different types of electronic circuits (receiver and transmitter) are required for these different types of radio transmissions.

However, a new technology has appeared that permits a single electronic circuit to handle all types of radio transmissions: Software Defined Radio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio

Your cyborg could have an extremely powerful embedded SDR which would permit it to receive and transmit all kind of signals.

Another thing I'm thinking of for your cyborg is high energy particles. Let me know if you want to know more.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 31 January 2015 - 04:27 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users