Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Windows 7 is saying i need permission from myself!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

Hello fellow bleepers, it's been quite a while, anyways, Let's cut to the chase

My sister's PC died a month ago and now se goth a new Laptop to replace it, now she gave me her old PC to get her data out of it, i removed her HDD and plugged it in my Desktop, turn it on and everything was fine, but when i actually went to copy her files over to her laptop trough my network it'd say i don't have the rights to do that, so i googled and took ownership of all the folders, and made sure i gave myself the permisions to do anything in them. The problem is that now when it goes to copy files after a while it stops and says i need permission from INTEI7/Inte i7, Wich is my username mind you.

So windows right now is literally asking me to give permission to myself to copy the files over.

Quite frankly this drove me mad and i'm smashing my keyboard at 3 in the morning hoping you guys can help me out. bleepen windows. The worst part is that every google result goes to people that wanted to delete a file so they could just use other software or the console to do it, but i want to move it to another computer in my network, so no way to do it with the console.

This is driving me nuts, any help is appreciated, and i'll grant you people with whatever you need, normally i'd post a speccy but i just don't see how that would help.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

Hello fellow bleepers, it's been quite a while, anyways, Let's cut to the chase

My sister's PC died a month ago and now se goth a new Laptop to replace it, now she gave me her old PC to get her data out of it, i removed her HDD and plugged it in my Desktop, turn it on and everything was fine, but when i actually went to copy her files over to her laptop trough my network it'd say i don't have the rights to do that

I think you started off in the right method but Windows usually limits what you can and cant do with ownership.

I have had this issue before and sometimes taking ownership doesnt always work.

I would slave the drive as you did to your computer and use Knoppix as i do , { or any Linux Distro } and boot from Knoppix off a disc.

Then explore her drive and save what you want to that PC or USB Stick and then transfer to sisters Laptop after.

Have done this numerous times and works fine - no issues.

#3 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

Open up a cmd box with run as Administrator and use it to enable the real Administrator Account. Then Log in to the Administrator account to move or copy the files. When you are finished hide the Real Admin account again.

To enable the real Administrator Account:

Open a command box with run as Administrator and type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Press Enter

Then log in to your normal account and re-hide the Admin account with this command:

net user administrator /active:no

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

The hidden admin account is asking for a password, i never set it up with one, so i can't access it.

And i need to move it to another computer in my network, i don't think i can set up a network with a Windows 7 PC and a Linux one and be able to read/write trough both. And if i can, maybe you can help me out?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

Just to confirm, did you take ownership of the drive as shown here.

On another note, somebody must have added a password to Administrator for some reason. You can change it with this command.

net user administrator *

this will prompt you for a new password.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Yes i took ownership just as it says there, and with the Take ownership reg edit aswell, i also made sure to have all permissions too.

Logging in into the hidden admin account gives the same result. I'm denied access unless i take ownership, and after taking ownership i get the same prompt.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise BTW

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

So you can now login to the hidden Administrator account. What happens if you change the owenship of the drive to your name when logged in to the hidden Administrator account?

You can boot to a Live CD of a linux distro like Puppy as Havachat suggested. Puppy would boot and run in RAM. Then copy the files over to the internal drive. Is this something you would be willing to do? This should work and it's fairly easy to do.

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

I'm trying to copy over 120 GB worth of data out of my sister's old HDD to her new laptop via my network because my C:/ drive only has 90GB free. As such i'd need to setup a network between the linux distro and the Win 7 laptop (That has like 900 GB free)

EDIT: I keep saying that because i have no idea if you can set up a network between a linux distro and Windows 7. If so, just give me a link to a how to or the instructions and i'll copy the files trough linux

Edited by Datcoolguy, 27 January 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

I am not exactly sure how to do that. You can use SAMBA which I do not have experience with. There is a guide using Lighthouse64. It is no longer being maintained but it does have SAMBA included. The same should be true for Fatdog64 which is also based on Puppy. You could run Fatdog64 on both computers and then run SAMBA as shown here.  You may get a better answer on the use of SAMBA in the linux forum.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=585509#585509

I think the easiest way though would be to tranfer roughly 30GB to your drive then reboot and transfer the files via your Windows network. It should not take that long as Puppy or FatDog64 boots quickly.

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, but i'd have to spend about 3 days of rebooting back and forth and copying files, wich basically means i can't use my desktop all just to deal with windows being bleepe. I'd really like to find the cause of this rather than have to work my ass off to recover some data that isn't even mine. If we can't find a solution i'll get a linux distro and see what i can do, but right now i don't have the time to do all of this work. I just want to be able to leave both computers copying all of the files

Edited by Datcoolguy, 27 January 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hopefully somebody on the forum has some other ideas on this. I just can't understand why taking ownership of the drive did not solve the problem. Do you think it could be related to whatever security program you are using?

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

ezSHARE™ Adapter  with dual usb connections with some thingie in the middle

Transfer, Copy, and Share Your Files! Works on PCs 

I'm only suggesting the above as one of several means to copy files from one harddrive to another harddrive, regardless of internal, external, laptop to laptop, etc.  I used the above before I was able to get my hardwire and my wireless to fully cooperate between three computers.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 January 2015 - 01:33 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

I disabled Avast to try and copy with no shields going and i got the same result, let's just say i'm the kind of person that gets the most bizarre problems.

Also no hardware solutions please, i live in a third world country, what might be cheap for you is expensive for me.

I'll probably take time this weekend to get a linux distro going in a flash drive and copy files over that way during the night. But i really don't get why getting ownership of things doesn't work, i'm set as owner and i get the following prompt every time i try to copy something

b060d353d7.jpg

Of course, i'm logged in as Inte i7 and it's the only account in the system apart from the hidden admin one. 

Just a reminder, the files i'm trying to move where all created in a different computer with windows XP on it.

EDIT: The hard drive with the files has the Windows XP instalation on it. Maybe i could try and boot from that HDD? I don't care if windows starts bleeping about being ilegitimate if i can get the files out. I'm just not sure you can boot from a HDD whose installation was perfomed on another computer

Edited by Datcoolguy, 27 January 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#14 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

How to Share Files Between Windows and Linux

http://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to-share-files-between-windows-and-linux/

Edited by HairCut, 27 January 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,275 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

See this thread. See 3rd from last post by William Simpson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users