Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Windows, Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

My friend gave me their laptop to try and repair, but I am getting nowhere.  I've tried restarting in all safe mode option available, but get the same result.  It appears as if Windows might load, but then it just stops, and I have a black screen with a cursor on it.  Pressing the Windows key or Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing.

I have tried to reset it to a previous working version, but no system restore points were ever created.  No matter what, it just gets to the Windows Home Premium splash screen then goes to a black screen and Windows never loads.

Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872

Can anyone help? Need to get this computer back to them by tomorrow.

UPDATE:It would appear I am not the only one with this same issue:

The laptop loads and appears to be on but it simply goes to a blank (black) screen after the Vista Home Premium splash screen.  Same issue happens if I try and load Windows in any form of safe mode.  I get a black screen (the monitor IS on) with a mouse cursor, but that's it.

Hope you can help,

Angel Rodriquez

Edited by Angel Rodriquez, 27 January 2015 - 01:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

See if the Sticky key workaround works. Get to the Black Screen and let the hard drive settle down.

Hopefully Sticky Keys is enabled. Tap the shift key 5 or 6 times quickly. Click Yes to activate sticky keys. On the configuration page select this copy of Windows is legal. IE will open. In the address bar type C:\Windows\explorer.exe

If you get to the desktop go to C:\Windows\System32\winevt\logs  rename the logs folder to logsold and create a new logs folder. Then reboot.

#3 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

See if the Sticky key workaround works. Get to the Black Screen and let the hard drive settle down.

Hopefully Sticky Keys is enabled. Tap the shift key 5 or 6 times quickly. Click Yes to activate sticky keys. On the configuration page select this copy of Windows is legal. IE will open. In the address bar type C:\Windows\explorer.exe

If you get to the desktop go to C:\Windows\System32\winevt\logs  rename the logs folder to logsold and create a new logs folder. Then reboot.

Well I was able to hit the shift key 5 times and it askd me if I wanted to use Sticky Keys.  I selected "Yes" but there was nothing after that. Simply continued being a black screen with a cursor.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Do you have a Windows 7 computer to work from?

#5 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

I do, actually.  The laptop I personally use (and am using now to try and look up a fix to this problem) runs Windows 7.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

Download Aoemi Pe builder. This will create an iso file you can burn to disk or USB flash drive. Run the program and follow the steps. Once the PE disk is built, boot it in the Vista Computer and browse to C:\Windows\System32\winevt\logs. Rename logs to logsbackup. Then create a new folder named Logs. Reboot the computer and hopefully it will boot normally.

Desktop.png

#7 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Tried it but it doesn't appear to have changed anything.  Once I take out the boot disk after having changed the logs name and creating a new folder, the start-up sequence goes exactly the same: loads vista splash screen and then goes to a black screen with a cursor.

If I have the boot environment going, can I at least move files from the original computer to a disk or do I not have access to any of the regular files?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Yes, you can transfer files to an external drive or USB flash drive. Plug in to a USB port and open Computer. You should see your external/USB flash drive and copy the files.

Edit: If creating a new log file did not work, I am not sure what is causing the problem. Look for a file called rstrui.exe and run it. Maybe this will start the System Restore on the Vista disk. It should be in C:\Windows\System32\Restore  I would copy all your important files before trying this though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#9 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

OK, I will try to do that.  In the mean time - can you think of any other solutions that might work?  I do appreciate your efforts, a lot!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Do you have a Vista Install Disk? Using that you could do a System Restore.

If not what are the dates of the Registry Hives in C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback ?  Are the dates shown before the problem began?

#11 Angel Rodriquez

Angel Rodriquez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

Do you have a Vista Install Disk? Using that you could do a System Restore.

If not what are the dates of the Registry Hives in C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback ?  Are the dates shown before the problem began?

Well, I had to give the laptop back ,but at least you were abe to help me immensely.  The person I gave it back to was happy to just have her saved files back and will be doing a clean install of Windows, now.

Thanks again!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Your Welcome, Having the option to do a clean install is always good. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users