Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen after RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nicklauren

nicklauren

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

Hey guys,

I just bought an Acer 15 Touch (windows 8) 2 days ago. I bought it with 4Gb of Ram, and wanted to upgrade it to 8 so I grabbed a 4GB stick from a couple year old Vaio and went to install it. I didn't realize when I bought the laptop that I had to take it apart to the motherboard to install it but I was meticulous and did it (my previous laptops had a little access cover on the back rather than having to take it COMPLETELY APART).

After putting the laptop back together and booting it up it worked fine, but I noticed it wasn't recognizing the new RAM so I thought I'd grab a different 4GB stick and put it in. This time I matched up the original RAM with a new stick that matched it perfectly and installed it. Put it back together, and tried to boot it up but got only a black screen. 

The blue light comes up, and I can sometimes feel the fan running lightly but there are no beeps and there is nothing on the screen. I have also tried to hook it up to an external monitor using both the VGA and HDMI and nothing but a black screen.

I then took it back apart again, took out the newly installed RAM altogether, black screen again. I took it apart again, moved the original RAM stick to the other slot and made sure it was clicked in fully and connected correctly...nothing. 

I also tried removing the hard drive and booting it up, to no avail...as well as making sure all of the ribbons were connected correctly, but nothing works.

I tried to find the CMOS battery to reset it, but the only thing I found on the motherboard that looks like a battery appear to be not removable. 

Any ideas on what could be causing this I would be incredibly greatful for. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

Do you have a monitor that you can connect to the laptop? It is possible that even though you were careful during the dissasembly / reassembly of your laptop that something related to the display could have been disconneted or pulled up from the motherboard. If you connect a monitor and you can see the display that would all but confirm what I said. If that is the case I suggest taking it to a good computer repair shop and having them diagnose the problem and reparing it if possible.

#3 nicklauren

nicklauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

Yup!  I connected it to a monitor (I tried both the HDMI and the VGA ports) and nothing.  Same thing.

I have to believe it isn't booting, because it doesn't beep or no cursor...

#4 nicklauren

nicklauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

So tonight I tried again.  Putting another RAM stick in there and I made sure everything was reconnected correctly.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?

Although it doesn't beep or anything (only a blue light on) I noticed tonight that the fan will come on for a second...so it is doing something...it's just not booting up I feel like.  

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

Ok... Put the original memory stick back in there.. I hope you remember which one it was and do a google search for acer black screen of death,  There are youtube videos and tutorials all over.  You probably freaked out your bios changing the memory like that which probably required different voltages and now you have to ' recover ' and update your bios.  I would follow the steps on the acer website for recovering your bios using a thumbdrive and updated bios.

#6 nicklauren

nicklauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Yeah,

I was excited by what you said (the first real solution I've gotten so far) and so I went on the Acer website to download the BIOS but it was only an EXE file.  I think contacted ACER support to find out where I could get the files to flash the BIOS and they said Windows 8 only has an EXE file and the only way to fix the bios was to send it in for service??  Argh.  This is definitely my last Acer.

Do I have any options left, or am I pretty much screwed?

#7 nicklauren

nicklauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

Does anyone know what to do when you have a corrupt BIOS and Acer says the Windows 8 BIOS file is only an EXE and there is no flash?

Thanks!

#8 Lunathecat

Lunathecat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

You can try going to the Acer site and downloading the current BIOS. You could also try using a stick to download the current version of the BIOS for your system and thend booting from the stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users